A Nebraska school district has agreed to pay the parents of an eighth grader $1 million after a teacher gave the boy a granola bar and he died from an allergic reaction, the Omaha World-Herald reports.
This week, the Papillion La Vista Community School Board publicly acknowledged the payout in exchange for releasing the district from legal liability, according to minutes of a Monday board meeting.
The case centers on 14-year-old Jagger Shaw, a student at Liberty Middle School in Papillion, Nebraska. On May 6, 2022, Shaw had asked a teacher to go to the office for a snack, and the teacher offered the boy a granola bar instead.
In the course of eating the granola bar, Shaw began feeling like he was having an allergic reaction and went to the school nurse’s office, according to an account of the incident the boy’s father wrote on Facebook.
The school nurse first provided Shaw with Benadryl, and when that did not work, a nurse injected him with an EpiPen. Medics were called and rushed Shaw to an area hospital, where he died the following day.
On May 10, 2022, KETV reported that family and friends knew Shaw had a food allergy. It is not clear why Shaw ate the granola bar given the allergy.
The school district reportedly launched an internal investigation into the circumstances surrounding the boy’s death, but it was not immediately known whether that investigation has concluded or what it found.
The family will be compensated with a lump sum payment from the school district’s liability insurer.
“Our thoughts are with the Shaw family. It’s such a tragic situation. Our hearts break for them,” district spokesperson Annette Eyman told the World-Herald.
For the latest true crime and justice news, subscribe to the ‘Crime Stories with Nancy Grace’ podcast. Listen to the latest episode:
Join Nancy Grace for her new online video series designed to help you protect what you love most — your children.
[Feature Photo: Jagger Shaw/Facebook]