Share and Follow
Buckingham Palace has denied reports that King Charles could be forced to let Prince Harry stay at Kensington Palace next time he visits the UK.
The dispute comes amid alleged tensions surrounding the Duke of Sussex’s role as counsellor-of-state, which makes him one of seven members of the royal family who could deputise for the King if he is abroad or unwell.
By law, counsellors of state, which also include Princess Anne and Prince Edward, are required to have a home in Britain but California-based Harry, is effectively homeless in the UK after being evicted from Frogmore Cottage earlier this year.
In a bid to resolve the issue, sources claimed royal courtiers have discussed leasing a property on a royal estate to Harry and Meghan.
Royal sources told The Sunday Times that one option is an apartment at Kensington Palace, where Prince William and Kate have a home and private office. But these suggestions were quickly shut down.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are effectively homeless when visiting the UK now after being evicted from Frogmore Cottage earlier this year
Buckingham Palace has denied reports that King Charles could be forced to let Prince Harry at Kensington Palace next time he visits the UK
Royal sources said that Prince Harry could end up having a place to stay at Kensington Palace but Buckingham Palace has denied such reports
A friend of Charles said: ‘The King can see that to remove Harry as a counsellor of state would be seen as an act of antagonism and he does not want to do that.
‘If, as a consequence of that, somewhere on the royal estate needs to be earmarked as a pied-à-terre for his son, that seems a reasonable thing to do.’
Buckingham Palace refuted the idea, telling the newspaper bluntly: ‘These claims are not true’.
It is understood that the King does not want to remove Prince Harry and Prince Andrew as counsellors of state to avoid escalating tensions within the royal family, believing it would be unlikely that either would ever have to step into his shoes.
It comes as it emerged Prince Harry was denied a room at Windsor Castle earlier this month during his fleeting visit through London.
The Duke flew into London from the US for the WellChild Awards and asked if he could stay at Windsor, while his father Charles was staying at Balmoral to mark the anniversary of the Queen’s death.
It is believed he wanted to stay at the Castle to visit the Queen’s grave at St George’s Chapel the next day, but his request was shut down.
The Prince was told he would need to book in advance in the future if he wanted to either stay in a royal residence or visit King Charles while in the UK.
It comes as it emerged Prince Harry was denied a room at Windsor Castle earlier this month during his fleeting visit through London. Pictured: The Duke after leaving St George’s Chapel where the Queen is buried earlier this month
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex did not visit the UK together on their way to the Invictus Games in Germany
King Charles was unable to meet Harry on his fleeting visit as he was in Balmoral with Queen Camilla
The Duke’s office first contacted Buckingham Palace after confirming his attendance at the London-based awards ceremony and said he would love to see his father and stay with him if at all possible, The Sunday Telegraph reported.
Harry was told, however, that he would need to put in a formal request.
After sending the specific dates and timings of his trip, during which he only had a 24-hour window in the UK before leaving for the Invictus Games in Germany.
The Palace explained that the King would be at his Balmoral estate in Scotland where Harry was welcome but both parties decided it would be impossible with the time constraints.
After this option failed, Harry asked if he could stay in Windsor but due to the short notice this could not be arranged.
Harry stayed in a hotel for the night instead. He was allowed to visit the Queen’s grave, which he did privately.
Meanwhile, it emerged that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex tried to gag teachers and school pupils, some as young as five, from a deprived school while filming for their Netflix documentary.
A non-disclosure agreement was set up as they visited Public School 123 in New York in 2021, email exchanges between the Sussexes’ Archwell Foundation and city officials showed.
The document stated that those who signed the agreement could not make ‘negative’ remarks about the couple. A spokesman for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex was yesterday contacted for comment.
Buckingham Palace has been approached by MailOnline for comment.