Brighton tell Moises Caicedo to stay away from training ahead of FA Cup tie with Liverpool after midfielder begged the club to sell him to Arsenal or Chelsea in £60m deal… as Ecuador star considers handing in a transfer request to force exit
Moises Caicedo will stay away from Brighton training on Saturday as the midfielder tries to force through a £60million move to Arsenal or Chelsea.
The Ecuador international begged Brighton to let him leave in an Instagram message on Friday night after Sportsmail reported that he was considering handing in a transfer request.
Caicedo, 21, wrote that a record transfer fee ‘would allow Brighton to reinvest and help the club continue to be successful.’
Moises Caicedo will stay away from Brighton training on Saturday as the midfielder tries to push through a £60million move to either Arsenal or Chelsea
Brighton manager Roberto De Zerbi (left) has banished Caicedo (right) from training as they prepare for Sunday’s FA Cup fourth round tie against Liverpool
Caicedo will be absent from Saturday morning’s training session and will play no part in Sunday’s FA Cup fourth round tie with Liverpool at the Amex Stadium.
The player isn’t believed to be in the right frame of mind to play in the cup tie and a mutual decision was made that he shouldn’t be involved this weekend.
Caicedo changed agents recently and they are trying to push through the move.
Brighton have maintained Caicedo isn’t for sale ahead of Tuesday’s transfer deadline and have rejected a £60m bid from Arsenal that may yet be increased.
Caicedo said on Instagram on Friday evening: ‘I am grateful to Mr. Bloom and Brighton for giving me the chance to come to the
and I feel I have always done my best for them. I always play football with a smile and with heart.
‘I am the youngest of 10 siblings from a poor upbringing in Santa Domingo in Ecuador. My dream has always to be the most decorated player in the history of Ecuador.
The 21-year-old expressed his desire to leave Brighton in a social media post on Friday evening
The 21-year-old has not ruled out putting in a transfer request to try and force through a move
‘I am proud to be able to bring in a record transfer fee for Brighton which would allow them to reinvest it and help the club continue to be successful.
‘The fans have taken me into their hearts and they will always be in my heart so I hope they can understand why I want to take up this magnificent opportunity.’
It’s understood that Brighton laughed off Chelsea’s bid of £55million earlier this window, before rejecting Arsenal’s recent offer of £60m as they hold out for a fee of £80m if he is to leave before the deadline.
The player however is concerned he may not get the chance to join Arsenal or Chelsea in the summer, with the clubs set to go head-to-head for West Ham captain Declan Rice at the end of the season.
Caicedo remains under contract at the Amex Stadium until 2025 and could be forced to stay
Sportsmail understands Caicedo has not ruled out putting in a transfer request to force a move, but Brighton are under no pressure to sell having allowed Leandro Trossard to join Arsenal for £21million last week.
Caicedo, who has 28 caps for his country, is under contract until 2025. He joined Brighton in 2021 for £4.5m from Independiente del Valle in his homeland.
Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi, meanwhile, said of Caicedo: ‘I think he is a good guy, he is only focused on Brighton. I hope he can stay with us until the end of the season. In my opinion, that is the best solution for him and us.’
Seagulls head coach Roberto De Zerbi has insisted that Caicedo ‘is focused only on Brighton’
Speaking earlier this week, Caicedo echoed De Zerbi and insisted he was only concentrating on playing for Brighton and continuing their impressive season which sees them in sixth place.
He said: ‘I am focused on Brighton. I am here, I’m playing every day. Things from outside don’t trouble me, nor does it take that focus away, because I’m focused only on here.
‘I handle [the speculation] well. You hear rumours here and there, but I only try to be focused on the club where I am now, the club that opened the doors for me to be playing every week.’
The Friday night post was also shared on his Twitter account, and has accumulated over 150,000 likes across both platforms.