Tottenham has parted ways with Antonio Conte after the Italian slammed his players as “selfish” after their 3-3 draw with Southampton.
The Italian tactician, who was appointed as Spurs boss in November 2021 had also gone off on a rant at Tottenham’s owner, Daniel Levy, and the club’s trophy record.
Speaking after a 3-3 Premier League draw with Southampton on March 18, Conte said;
“I think it’s better to go into the problem, we are not a team. We are 11 players that go into the pitch. I see selfish players, players that don’t want to help each other and don’t put their heart [into it]. This season compared to last, now we are worse in this aspect. When you are not a team you cannot improve.
“It is easy in this way [playing without pressure or importance]. Tottenham’s story is this, 20 years there is the owner and they never won something but why? The fault is only for the club, or for every manager that stay here.”
Confirming that they’ve parted ways with Conte, Tottenham said in a statement;
“We can announce that Head Coach Antonio Conte has left the Club by mutual agreement. We achieved Champions League qualification in Antonio’s first season at the Club. We thank Antonio for his contribution and wish him well for the future.
“Cristian Stellini will take the team as Acting Head Coach for the remainder of the season, along with Ryan Mason as Assistant Head Coach.
“We have 10 Premier League games remaining and we have a fight on our hands for a Champions League place. We all need to pull together. Everyone has to step up to ensure the highest possible finish for our Club and amazing, loyal supporters.”
In Conte’s first year with the club, Tottenham qualified for the Champions League in 2021-22 but was beaten by AC Milan in the round of 16 earlier this month.
The club was also eliminated from the FA Cup after a loss to second-tier Sheffield United on March.