Share and Follow
Prince Harry must now give notice if he wants to visit the King and stay at any royal properties, it has emerged, after he was denied a room at Windsor Castle earlier this month.
The Duke of Sussex, 39, flew to London for the WellChild Awards at the start of the month and asked if he could stay at Windsor, while his father Charles was staying at Balmoral to mark the anniversary of the Queen’s death.
It is believed that Harry planned to stay at Windsor Castle so he could visit the Queen’s resting place at St George’s Chapel the following day.
However, he was denied his request on the grounds that no properties were available on short notice.
It is believed that Buckingham Palace also told the Duke he would have to put in a ‘formal request’ to see his father during his visit. It is unclear if King Charles was aware of this correspondence.
According to the Telegraph, Harry, who is due to return to the UK in January, will still be allowed to stay at properties in Windsor going forward, but only if ‘suitable warning’ is given.
At the time, he was offered the chance to stay in Balmoral with his father Charles on the anniversary of the Queen’s death on September 7 but said his busy itinerary made it impossible.
Instead he remained in the south in a hotel and marked the occasion on his own. It was Harry’s first visit to the UK since he and Meghan were evicted from Frogmore Cottage – leaving them effectively ‘homeless’ in the UK.
Prince Harry, pictured at the Invictus Games this month, must now give notice if he wants to visit the King and stay on the royal estate
The Duke of Sussex was offered the chance to stay in Balmoral with his father Charles, pictured in France this week, on the anniversary of the Queen’s death on September 7
Harry was later pictured holding a short vigil at the Queen’s resting place, located at Windsor Castle’s St George’s Chapel.
News of the situation comes as Harry and Meghan continue to build their profile in the US.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were all smiles as they made a surprise appearance at Kevin Costner’s ‘One805 Live!’ charity event for first responders on Friday, held at his $26 million polo field in Santa Barbara.
The couple were joined by their good friends Oprah and Ellen DeGeneres as they took another step into Hollywood royalty.
The fundraising event – where ‘last chance’ tables cost $12,000 – was hosted at the oceanside estate of Kevin Costner in Summerland and included noteworthy guests, including Katy Perry’s parents.
Harry wore black while Meghan opted for a sophisticated, chic look, in a monochrome jacket with her hair pulled back ‘clean-girl’ style.
Upon their arrival, the Duke and Duchess – who have just returned from a PDA-packed appearance at the Invictus Games in Germany – were spotted backstage chatting with Costner, his VIP guests, and senior police and firefighting service officials.
Harry was pictured holding a short vigil at the Queen’s resting place, located at Windsor Castle’s St George’s Chapel, on the anniversary of her death
Royal sources said that accommodation for the Duke will be available where possible but the Windsor Estate (pictured) must be told in advance of his visit
Charles and Queen Camilla are believed to be currently in Balmoral after returning from France yesterday.
The King waved to the crowd at the top of they boarded the royal plane at Bordeaux-Merignac Airport to depart for the UK.
Their Majesties ended their three-day French state visit in south-west France where September showers failed to dampen their spirits.
The King enjoyed a livener or two as he toured a chaotic festival after taking a ride on an electric tram. He was persuaded to have a nip of whisky – made from his own barley – as he went round the stalls in Bordeaux’s main square.
Moments later he went into another tent where he was talked into trying some organically-made red wine. He also chose a piece of cheese to be wrapped up for him, saying he could not leave without having some local fromage.
He and the Queen also arrived at the Place de la Bourse by electric tram after leaving a reception on board the frigate Iron Duke.
King Charles III and Queen Camilla board their plane and wave goodbye at Bordeaux-Merignac Airport during their departure for the United Kingdom
Meanwhile Prince Andrew appeared in high spirits as he enjoyed a quiet horse ride around the grounds of Windsor Castle today.
The Duke of York, 63, was only accompanied by a groom for his typical Saturday morning outing, which his brother Prince Edward sometimes joins.
Andrew and his riding companion chatted animatedly throughout the jaunt, with the father-of-two seen smiling widely in a purple crewneck jumper and riding jodhpurs.
Buckingham Palace has been approached by MailOnline for comment.