Ryan Lochte’s Partner Responds to Kayla Rae Reid’s Parenting Remarks

In the wake of a public critique from Kayla Rae Reid, the estranged wife of Olympic swimmer Ryan Lochte, Molly Gillihan, Lochte's current girlfriend,...
HomeNewsTourist found dead in jaws of shark with arm ripped off as...

Tourist found dead in jaws of shark with arm ripped off as another diver drowns after being swept away from scuba group

Share and Follow

TWO tourists were found dead, with one discovered in the jaws of a shark, after being swept away by strong undercurrents while scuba diving.

Two other tourists were able to swim back safely to their dive boat on Thursday off Verde Island, south of Manila, the Philippines.

Philippine Coast Guard members on a boat.

The pair of tourists plunged into a popular diving spot off the idyllic Verde IslandCredit: Asia Pacific Press via ViralPress
Underwater photo of three scuba divers near a coral reef.

The scene at the same spot moments before the attackCredit: Diego Reyes/Asia Pacific Press/ ViralPress
Portrait of Maksim Melekhov.

Russian tourist Maksim Melekhov, 39, tragically lost his life while scuba diving in the PhilippinesCredit: East2West
Photo of Ilya Peregudin.

Russian tourist Ilya Peregudin, 29, died while scuba diving in the PhilippinesCredit: East2West

Four Russian men aged 18 to 57 travelled via boat off Verde Island with a Filipino dive instructor to dive on Thursday afternoon near the resort area of Batangas on the main island of Luzon.

But disaster soon struck after they and their dive master were pulled apart by the deadly current.

Some of the group were able to come to the surface and safely return to the boat.

But the two others, identified as Ilia Peregudin, 29, and Maksim Melekhov, 39, were tragically discovered by rescuers hours later, a Philippine coat guard said on Friday.

Maksim was found unconscious at sea and was declared dead by doctors in a Batangas hospital.

Philippine coast guard provincial commander Capt. Airland Lapitan said: “The other one was found at about 4-5:30 pm and retrieved around 5-6 pm.

“When the rescuers found him, he was being pulled by a shark.

“He was eventually retrieved but his arm was missing.”

It was unclear if the man had been killed by the shark or was already dead, Lapitan said.

This is because the bodies were turned over to family members without an autopsy.

Shark attacks in and around the Philippines waters are very rare, with none recorded in at least a year, according to a global database.

An investigation is currently underway, and the coast guard is to meet provincial officials for talks on how to prevent such deadly incidents at Verde Island, along with other dive spots.

Great white shark breaching the water with its mouth open.

One tourist is thought to have been attacked by sharksCredit: Getty
Philippine Coast Guard members aboard a boat.

Two Russian divers were killed in a horror shark attack in the PhilippinesCredit: Asia Pacific Press via ViralPress
Diver underwater near rocks.

The pair of tourists, Ilia Peregudin, 29, and Maksim Melekhov, 39, plunged into a popular diving spot off the idyllic Verde IslandCredit: Diego Reyes/Asia Pacific Press/ ViralPress
Share and Follow