Ivorian President’s Niece Allegedly Linked to Epstein in Mediation Role

Recently uncovered emails suggest that Nina Keita, the glamorous niece of the Ivory Coast's President Alassane Ouattara, played a significant role in facilitating introductions...
HomeCrimeTeenagers facing murder charges after striking cyclist: Police

Teenagers facing murder charges after striking cyclist: Police

Share and Follow

Inset: Scott Habermehl (Daniels Family funeral home). Background: Street in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where teens allegedly hit and killed Habermehl as he rode his bicycle (Google Maps).

“Just bump him, brah.”

That’s what a 15-year-old boy could be heard on video saying to the driver of a stolen vehicle — his 13-year-old buddy — as they drove the car down an Albuquerque, New Mexico, street early one morning in May while they approached a man riding his bicycle in the bike lane, police said in a press release.

“Like bump him?” the driver allegedly asked.

“Yeah, just bump him. Go like 15 … 20 [mph],” the 15-year-old who sat in the back seat responded, according to cops.

More from Law&Crime: ‘Don’t play with me clown’: Hit-and-run killer murdered friend and co-worker after taunting him in text messages

The 13-year-old boy allegedly accelerated the car toward the bicyclist, later identified as 63-year-old Scott Dwight Habermehl, who was riding to work at Sandia National Laboratory. As he approached Habermehl, the front seat passenger, an 11-year-old boy, waved a handgun and started laughing when they hit the cyclist, cops say.

“There were loud sounds, including metal flexing, as the momentum of the crash carried Habermehl and his bicycle on top, and off, the passenger side of the vehicle,” cops wrote.

Habermehl was killed and the boys drove away, police said.

Albuquerque police investigated the May 29 hit-and-run crash on Moon Street and Atkinson Avenue but were unable to determine those responsible until cops received an anonymous tip last month that a video showing the incident was posted to an Instagram account. As cops zeroed in on the account, a middle school principal also contacted police to say a student had reported the video.

It turned out police already were in possession of the 13-year-old and 11-year-old’s phones from a separate, unrelated investigation. Detectives obtained search warrants to examine the phones and social media accounts and uncovered the video that allegedly captured the audio of the crash.

Share and Follow