California Border Patrol officers Farlis Almonte and Ricardo Rodriguez accused of taking bribes to wave in people without documents
Share and Follow

Two border inspectors in Southern California are facing charges for accepting bribes to let individuals enter the United States through the busiest port of entry without required documentation, as stated by prosecutors.

The accused officers, Farlis Almonte and Ricardo Rodriguez, worked at immigration inspection booths in the San Ysidro Port of Entry.

After a probe, authorities discovered incriminating messages between the inspectors and human smugglers in Mexico, alongside unexplained cash deposits in their bank accounts, leading to their charges, according to a complaint revealed on Thursday.

Surveillance video showed at least one instance in which a vehicle with a driver and a passenger stopped at a checkpoint but only the driver was documented as having entered the country, prosecutors said.

Prosecutors said the officers waved dozens of vehicles carrying people without documents.

They said both men were paid thousands for each vehicle they waved through.

It wasn’t immediately known if Almonte has an attorney who can speak on his behalf.

The National Border Patrol Council, the union representing Border Patrol officers, didn’t immediately return an email seeking comment.

Rodriguez’s attorney, Michael Hawkins, said the case was still in the “infant stages” and that Rodriguez has the presumption of innocence.

“We look forward to working through the current situation,” Hawkins said in an email in which he described Rodriguez as hardworking and loyal.

The investigation on Almonte and Rodriguez started after three migrant smugglers who were arrested last year told federal investigators they had been working with US border inspectors, federal prosecutors said.

While Almonte was in custody, investigators allegedly seized nearly $70,000 in cash they believe his romantic partner was trying to move to Tijuana.

Prosecutors wrote in a court filing that Almonte is potentially facing additional charges for money laundering and obstruction of justice, The San Diego Union Tribune reported.

“Any Customs and Border Protection agent who aids or turns a blind eye to smugglers bringing undocumented immigrants into the US is betraying their oath and endangering our national security,” Acting US Attorney Andrew Haden told the newspaper in a statement.

There have been five US Customs and Border Protection officers assigned to the San Diego area to face similar corruption charges in the last two years.

Last year, former US border inspector Leonard Darnell George was sentenced to 23 years in prison for taking bribes to allow people and drug-laden vehicles to enter the country through the San Ysidro border crossing.

Two other former border officers at the Otay Mesa and Tecate ports of entry were charged last year with similar charges.

They are expected to go on trial this summer.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
ICE in Chicago: Black Friday brings boost to Little Village businesses impacted by federal immigration operations

Chicago’s Little Village Sees Black Friday Surge, Offering Respite to Businesses Affected by Immigration Raids

CHICAGO — The Little Village neighborhood in Chicago experienced a much-needed surge…
Sen. Rick Scott's Naples home targeted in attempted swatting incident on Thanksgiving, police say

Thanksgiving Swatting Scare: Sen. Rick Scott’s Naples Home Targeted in Alarming Incident

Florida Senator Rick Scott revealed on social media that his family’s home…
WWE sex symbol shocks fans after resurfacing at 65 - see her now

WWE Icon Returns: 65-Year-Old Former Diva Stuns Fans with Timeless Comeback

During the late 1990s, Debra Marshall emerged as one of the most…
Criminal networks exploit US interstates to make human trafficking victims vanish: ‘Real plague’

Criminal Networks Exploit U.S. Interstates, Making Human Trafficking Victims Disappear: A Growing Crisis

An alarming epidemic is sweeping across the nation’s highways, drawing attention in…
Man arrested after allegedly attempting to kidnap two 12-year-old girls in Glynn County

Authorities Detain Man Following Alleged Kidnapping Attempt of Two 12-Year-Old Girls in Glynn County

A 21-year-old man, Evert Luna, has been taken into custody by Glynn…
Airbus issues emergency warning for 6,000 passenger jets

Urgent Safety Alert: Airbus Warns 6,000 Passenger Jets to Ground for Immediate Checks

Airbus, a leading global aircraft manufacturer, has issued a significant warning that…
Carnival Cruise passenger who died onboard identified as high school cheerleader, FBI investigating

Unraveling True Crime Mysteries: Anna Kepner’s Enigma, Alex Murdaugh’s Legal Drama, and the Cold Case of Martha Moxley

Tragic news struck as 18-year-old Anna Kepner was discovered deceased on a…
At least three injured in Black Friday shooting at Valley Fair Mall

Black Friday Chaos: Valley Fair Mall Shooting Leaves Three Injured Amid Shopping Frenzy

Shoppers at a bustling mall in West San Jose, California, were thrown…