Surgeon Ryan Cho leaving the Supreme Court of Victoria.
Share and Follow

A TRAINEE doctor has been accused of secretly filming hundreds of women in at least three hospitals.

Ryan Cho, 28, is likely to face around 500 charges relating to 4,500 videos he secretly recorded since 2021, police said.

Surgeon Ryan Cho leaving the Supreme Court of Victoria.

Trainee surgeon Ryan Cho leaving the Supreme Court of Victoria in MelbourneCredit: AP
Two people, faces obscured, walking outside.

The parents of trainee surgeon Ryan Cho arrive at court in MelbourneCredit: AP
Trainee surgeon Ryan Cho escorted into court.

Trainee surgeon, Ryan Cho is escorted into the Supreme Court of VictoriaCredit: AP

The trainee surgeon was released on bail today after he was charged with secretly recording hundreds of medical colleagues in the toilets of Australian hospitals.

Police allege Cho recorded intimate images of at least 460 women – leading to charges relating to stalking, producing intimate images and installing an optical surveillance device.

He was arrested in July after a mobile phone was found recording from inside a mesh bag hanging in an Austin Hospital restroom.

Cho, who moved to Australia as a student in 2017, is also accused of recording in restrooms in the Peter MacCallum Cancer Center and the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

He was initially charged with six offences – but another 127 charges were added on Thursday, including intentionally recording intimate images without permission.

“It’s alleged a mobile phone was used as a recording device in staff toilets at all three hospitals named so far,” a police statement said.

“Police expect to identify further alleged victims; however, working through this process is expected to take some time.”

Cho was released by the judge to live with his parents – who have been required to pay 50,000 Australian dollars (£24,000).

Although Cho became an Australian permanent resident in April, he would face deportation if he was convicted and sentenced to 12 months or longer in prison, the court said.

Cho’s lawyer Julian McMahon dismissed prosecutors fears Cho could interfere with witnesses if released.

I thought my sister’s doctor boyfriend was the ‘perfect gentleman’ but he abducted & killed her as she ran for her life

Justice James Elliott, who granted bail, said the risks to the community could be managed by “very strict conditions”.

McMahon said it was too early to tell if the allegations would go to trial.

Dr Cho has been stood down from Austin Health, and records on the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency reveal he is currently suspended and cannot practice in Australia, ABC reports.

Cho hasn’t entered pleas.

His defence lawyer told the court that Cho has “complex” mental health issues.

Barrister Julian McMahon SC told the Supreme Court the allegations would eventually be seen as “complex psychiatric and psychological issues together with criminal conduct”.

The lawyers also said he expects “hundreds” more charges to be laid by the end of the year, and that the case could meet lengthy delays.

Prosecutors meanwhile said they expect the case to go trial in the second half of next year.

Russ Hammill, prosecuting, told the court the alleged offending “borders on the obsessive”.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like

Veteran Police Officer Dismissed After Inappropriate Comment to Female Colleague

A distinguished police officer with a stellar 20-year record has been dismissed…

Unlock Exclusive Deals: Discover Our Special Black Friday Offer

The festive season is upon us, and with it comes the…

Oregon Governor Considers Probe into Immigration Law Enforcement Practices

Oregon Governor Tina Kotek (D) has issued a stern warning regarding the…

Explosive Leak: AG Barr’s Daughter Allegedly Linked to Candace Owens Blackmail Scandal

Leaked text messages published by Project Veritas have sparked a fresh controversy…

Kash Patel Unveils Startling Revelations on Comey Case and Controversial ‘Burn Bags

A recent judicial decision has led to the dismissal of the…

Washington Post Claims Pete Hegseth Gave Controversial Order on Drug Runners – What’s the Truth?

The scenario could easily belong in the pages of a suspenseful…

CIA-Associated Zero Unit Operative Allegedly Accused in Fatal Incident Involving DC National Guard Member

A former CIA-backed Afghan commando accused of gunning down two West Virginia…

Identities of National Guard Soldiers Revealed After Washington DC Incident

Two National Guardsmen injured in a shocking attack in Washington D.C. on…