Images of accused gunman Dezi Freeman being arrested
Share and Follow

Warning: This story contains images and details that some readers may find distressing.

Police say “disappointing” images showing the moments before two officers were shot dead came from a member of accused gunman Dezi Freeman’s family.

Freeman allegedly gunned down officers Neal Thompson, 59, and Vadim De Waart-Hottart, 34, and injured a third in the ambush at this property in Porepunkah in Victoria’s high country on August 26.

Previously unseen vision obtained by Daily Mail Australia shows Freeman, his wife Amalia and their two-year-old son barricading themselves on a bus as police tried to execute a warrant.
Images of accused gunman Dezi Freeman being arrested
These images show the moments before Dezi Freeman allegedly killed two officers. (Daily Mail Australia)

Freeman reportedly called officers “psychopaths” and “Nazis” and accused them of trespassing.

In the vision, it has been reported he also told the officers to “leave us alone” several times.

His wife was also reportedly heard asking police not to force entry into the bus.

Two loud noises believed to be gunshots then rang out.

The footage ended as officers are seen running for cover.

Victoria Police Detective Superintendent Jason Kelly told media today the images were taken by a member of Freeman’s family.

“That footage is not Victoria Police footage, is it not body-worn, it is by a member of the family of Desmond Freeman,” Kelly said.

“From a Victoria Police point of view, it is both distressing and disappointing

“I can only imagine the impact that has had on the family of Neal and Vadim and the colleagues that were present.”

Images of accused gunman Dezi Freeman being arrested
Freeman reportedly called officers “psychopaths”. (Daily Mail Australia)
Images of accused gunman Dezi Freeman being arrested
Two loud noises believed to be gunshots then rang out. (Daily Mail Australia)

Reward boosts tips from the public

The vision from August 26 has emerged as the manhunt for Freeman enters its 16th day.

Police have confirmed there has been no official sighting of the accused gunman during this time.

Superintendent Craig Darlow today said police have been given 200 tips since the reward was announced.

“We are exploring a number of matters, out of 1000 tips, a number are sightings, but not confirmed,” Darlow said.

Detective Inspector Dean Thomas said on the weekend that he remains open to all possibilities in regards to the whereabouts of Freeman and said the reward was “just another avenue” in the hunt.

Police have received over 1000 tips from the public so far.

Victoria Police Jason Kelly
Victoria Police Detective Superintendant Jason Kelly. (9News)

Police searching caves and mineshafts for Freeman

The 16-day search for the accused gunman has involved mineshafts, caves, huts and properties.

Police said there have been over 4000 shifts and 2000 members of Victoria Police and other crews have taken part in the manhunt so far.

Of the theories about where Freeman is and if he is still alive, Darlow said “everything is on the table”.

“Including whether he has taken his own life, if he is up in the hills secreted away, if he is able to get out, we havent closed our minds to any possibility at the moment,” he added.

“We will leave no stone unturned, he’s killed two of our members and shot a third.”

Kelly said police are prepared to continue searching for Freeman for “as long as it takes”.

”History sggests these types of operations take significant time,” he said.

“We need to be present, and we need to continue the search for him.”

Vadim De Waart-Hottart’s family visit Porepunkah

The family of slain officer Vadim De Waart-Hottart, 34, today arrived in Porepunkah for the first time since the shooting.

Kelly said his parents visited Bright Police Station, where Waart-Hottart had been temporarily seconded, and spoke with some of their son’s police colleagues.

“The attendance today was a real boost, if you like,” he said.

“It’s been a week of emotion for Victoria Police but I believe Vaidm’s parents’ attendance will hopefully assist them.

“It’s been a very distressing time for them, very emotional.”

Readers seeking support can contact Lifeline on 13 11 14 or beyond blue on 1300 22 4636.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Hero Uber driver stops job to race into burning house

Uber Driver Halts Ride to Courageously Rescue Occupants from Burning Home

An Uber driver became an unexpected hero when he abruptly stopped mid-ride…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Escalating Tensions: What It Means for Global Politics

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…

Australia Steps Up: Addressing Fiji’s Escalating HIV Crisis with Strategic Support

While Australia is considered to be on track to virtually eliminate HIV…

From Digital Sparks to Aisle Marks: The Rabbitohs Romance Behind Australia’s Most Anticipated Wedding

Like many modern relationships, it started with a slide into DMs on…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Declares Venezuelan Skies Off-Limits: A Bold Move in International Airspace Policy

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…

El Jannah’s Journey: From Family-Run Chicken Spot to International Phenomenon

Beloved restaurant chain El Jannah began modestly in 1998, when Lebanese immigrants…
A man wades through a flooded road carrying a cat in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Saturday, Nov, 29, 2025. (AP Photo/Eranga Jayawardena)

Catastrophic Sri Lanka Floods and Mudslides Claim 132 Lives: Latest Updates and Safety Measures

The devastation wrought by Cyclone Ditwah in Sri Lanka has claimed the…
Large crowds are expected for the line's opening of the Melbopurne Metro Tunnel extension.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Launch: A New Era of Seamless City Commutes Begins

This morning marks a significant milestone for Melbourne as the much-anticipated Metro…