The Grand Tour star James May sparks concern as he cancels show without explanation
Share and Follow

James May has sparked concern among fans after suddenly cancelling a date on his live UK tour without offering any explanation.

The TV presenter, 62, best known for The Grand Tour and Top Gear, announced his Explorers: The Age of Discovery tour earlier this year, with performances scheduled across the UK as well as Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. 

The show, which ties in with his latest documentary James May’s Greatest Explorers, promises to blend theatrical techniques with the star’s trademark storytelling to deliver ‘an evening of compelling intellectual entertainment.’

However, fans were left baffled when the Manchester stop, due to take place on October 16 at the Apollo, was suddenly scrapped.

Ticket sellers informed customers of the cancellation, but no reason has been given. 

Ticketmaster now shows the Manchester date greyed out, while remaining UK stops in Bath and Southampton are still listed as going ahead.

James May (pictured) has sparked concern among fans after suddenly cancelling a date on his live UK tour without offering any explanation

James May (pictured) has sparked concern among fans after suddenly cancelling a date on his live UK tour without offering any explanation

The presenter (pictured with fans) announced his Explorers: The Age of Discovery tour earlier this year, with performances scheduled across the UK and around the world

The presenter (pictured with fans) announced his Explorers: The Age of Discovery tour earlier this year, with performances scheduled across the UK and around the world

The event has also disappeared from May’s official website.

Confused followers quickly took to Reddit to share the news. One wrote: ‘Just had an email from Ticketmaster saying that the Age of Discovery show at Manchester Apollo has been cancelled.

‘I’ve looked on social media but no announcement from him regarding why, does anyone know what’s gone on as it seems that Manchester wasn’t the only one cancelled? Hope he’s okay.’

Another commented: ‘This is so weird, and weird there’s no mention of it. Hope James is all good – his other dates are still listed so maybe the Manchester date just didn’t sell enough tickets?’

The original poster responded: ‘Which is fair enough, I suppose it needs to sell X amount to break even, but the lack of communication from him or his team regarding the cancellation is disappointing.’

Despite the uncertainty, fans who have already seen the show overseas have shared glowing reviews.

One audience member gushed: ‘Just saw James live on stage talk about explorers, it was very good, I enjoyed it a lot – it went on for two and a half hours, he spoke well.’

Another said: ‘I was there last night – really awesome show!’ while a third added: ‘I was at the Melbourne show, I really enjoyed it. Hope he actually does come back for another show in the future.’

The show promises to blend theatrical techniques with the star's trademark storytelling to deliver 'an evening of compelling intellectual entertainment'

The show promises to blend theatrical techniques with the star’s trademark storytelling to deliver ‘an evening of compelling intellectual entertainment’

However, fans were left baffled when the Manchester stop, due to take place on October 16 at the Apollo, was suddenly scrapped

However, fans were left baffled when the Manchester stop, due to take place on October 16 at the Apollo, was suddenly scrapped

The Daily Mail has contacted James’s representatives for comment. 

It follows news that Jeremy Clarkson and his former co-hosts Richard Hammond and James May have reportedly wound down their joint company worth a staggering £24million.

The petrol heads, who first worked together over two decades ago on the now-axed Top Gear, are said to have closed the door on their TV relationship for good.

It follows the end of their Amazon motoring show The Grand Tour last year, which the trio hosted since they quit the BBC following Jeremy’s sacking in 2015.

Jeremy had been told by execs his contract would not be renewed following a fracas with a producer over steak.

As they moved to Prime Video, they set up W. Chump & Sons with their producer Andy Wilman.

However, according to Companies House, the firm is set be struck off as documents are filed this week for a ‘voluntary winding up’.

The Sun report that the business was closed down with an eye-watering £24,087,100 on its books. It would mean the men would receive approximately £6million each.

Ticketmaster now shows the Manchester date greyed out, while remaining UK stops in Bath and Southampton are still listed as going ahead

Ticketmaster now shows the Manchester date greyed out, while remaining UK stops in Bath and Southampton are still listed as going ahead

It follows news that Jeremy Clarkson (M) and his former co-hosts Richard Hammond (L) and James May (R) have reportedly wound down their joint company worth £24million

It follows news that Jeremy Clarkson (M) and his former co-hosts Richard Hammond (L) and James May (R) have reportedly wound down their joint company worth £24million

Daily Mail has contacted representatives for Jeremy, Richard and James for comment.

Since The Grand Tour wrapped, all three men have been busy with their own projects, including Jeremy’s highly successful Clarkson’s Farm.

Airing on Prime, it follows the 65-year-old as he runs his Diddly Squat Farm with the help of his trust companion Kaleb Cooper.

It was previously announced how a fifth series of the programme had been commissioned.

Jeremy also hosts the reboot of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on ITV1.

James boasts his very own gin brand and has recently launched a new Channel 5 series called Great Explores.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Hero Uber driver stops job to race into burning house

Uber Driver Halts Ride to Courageously Rescue Occupants from Burning Home

An Uber driver became an unexpected hero when he abruptly stopped mid-ride…

Tragic Hong Kong Inferno Claims Over 90 Lives, Marking City’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

Anger is mounting in Hong Kong after the city’s worst fire in…

Trump’s Bold Move: Revoking Biden’s Autopen Executive Orders Explained

President Donald Trump has announced his intention to nullify executive orders signed…
WA man jailed for stealing intimate material and using 'evil twin' WiFi networks

Australian Man Imprisoned for Setting Up Malicious WiFi Networks at Airports

A 44-year-old man has been sentenced to prison for setting up fraudulent…

Unraveling the Mystery: Why These Look-Alike Chinese Restaurants Are Baffling Locals

There’s nothing Australians love more than a succulent Chinese meal, as witnessed…
Victoria Police during the search for alleged shooter Dezi Freeman at Mount Buffalo National Park.

Ex-Detective Debunks Recent Alleged Sighting in Ongoing Search for Fugitive Cop Killer

Three months have passed since Desmond Freeman allegedly took the lives of…

Iran Accuses Australia of Collusion with Israel Amidst Outrage Over IRGC Terror Designation

Iran has expressed “disgust” at Australia’s formal designation of the Islamic Revolutionary…

Breaking News: Critical Insights on the Airbus A320 Recall You Can’t Miss

Airbus is warning of potential travel disruption due to upgrades on about…