Trump flags trip to Middle East as Gaza ceasefire talks continue
Share and Follow

US President Donald Trump has flagged a potential trip to the Middle East in just days as negotiations continue toward a potential ceasefire in Gaza.

Speaking in the White House, Trump said he was hopeful of a good result as talks continued in Egypt.

“Peace for the Middle East, so it’s a beautiful phrase, and we hope it’s gonna come true, but it’s very close and they’re doing very well,” he said.

President Donald Trump has flagged a trip to the Middle East. (AP)

“We have a great team over there, great negotiators, and they’re – unfortunately great negotiators on the other side also, but it’s something I think that will happen, got a good chance of happening. I may go there sometime toward the end of the week, maybe on Sunday.”

It’s the first indication Trump might join the table, as the US’s top Middle East adviser, the prime minister of Qatar, and other senior officials joined the third day of peace talks between Israel and Hamas in an Egyptian resort overnight, a sign that negotiators aim to dive deeply into the toughest issues of an American plan to end the war in Gaza.

Hamas says it’s seeking firm guarantees from mediators that Israel won’t resume its military campaign in the Palestinian territory after the militant group releases all the remaining hostages.

All sides have expressed optimism for a deal to end the two-year war that has left tens of thousands of Palestinians dead and most of the Gaza Strip destroyed.

US Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff, right, and Jared Kushner, left. (AP)

But key parts of the peace plan still haven’t been agreed to, including a requirement that Hamas disarm, the timing and extent of an Israeli troop withdrawal from Gaza, and the creation of an international body to run the territory after Hamas steps down.

US President Donald Trump’s Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, and the president’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, arrived overnight at Sharm el-Sheikh for the discussions, as did Qatar’s prime minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani, and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s top adviser, Ron Dermer.

Representatives for the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine were also in attendance, and a delegation from Palestinian Islamic Jihad, another fringe militant group that holds an unknown number of Israeli hostages, were scheduled to arrive, according to officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorised to speak to the media.

Israeli tanks at a staging area near the border with the Gaza Strip, in southern Israel. (AP)

Their participation underscores the aim of the talks to encompass all Palestinian groups.

A senior Hamas official, Taher Nounou, said the group has provided a list of Palestinian prisoners it wants released from Israel in return for hostages in Gaza as part of the deal.

Two officials from Arab countries said progress was made in Wednesday’s talks and that a deal could be reached in the coming days. Both spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorised to speak to the media.

The Trump plan calls for an immediate ceasefire and release of the 48 hostages that militants in Gaza still hold from their attack on Israel on October 7, 2023, that started the war and triggered Israel’s devastating retaliation. Around 20 of the hostages are believed to still be alive.

It envisions Israel withdrawing its troops from Gaza after Hamas disarms, and an international security force moving in. The territory would be placed under international governance, with Trump and former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair overseeing it.

Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi said Wednesday in televised comments that the negotiations so far “were very encouraging.”

Gaza City
Smoke rises following an Israeli military strike in Gaza City. (AP Photo/Abdel Kareem Hana)

Netanyahu has already accepted Trump’s plan. His office said Tuesday that Israel was “cautiously optimistic,” framing the talks as technical negotiations over a plan that both sides already had approved.

In a statement Tuesday, Hamas reiterated its longstanding demands for a lasting ceasefire and a full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, but said nothing about disarmament, a step it has long resisted. Hamas has also spoken against the idea of international rule, though it has agreed it will have no role in governing post-war Gaza.

Speaking in Sharm el-Sheikh, Khalil al-Hayya, Hamas’ top negotiator, told Egypt’s Qahera TV that the group wanted solid guarantees from Trump and mediators that the war “will not return.” It appeared to be his first public appearance since an Israeli strike targeting him and other top Hamas leaders in Qatar last month killed six people, including his son and office manager.

Displaced Palestinians girls carry a jerrycan after collecting water from a distribution point at a tent camp in Muwasi. (AP)

In January, the two sides had a ceasefire that brought the release of some Israeli hostages in exchange for Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. Under the agreement – which Trump and Witkoff played a major role in brokering – the two sides were then supposed to enter negotiations over a long-term truce, an Israeli withdrawal and a full hostage release.

But Israel broke the ceasefire in March, resuming its campaign of bombardment and offensives, saying it aimed to pressure Hamas for the remaining hostage releases.

Past rounds of negotiations have frequently fallen apart over the same obstacle, with Hamas demanding assurances of the war’s end and Netanyahu vowing to keep fighting until the group is destroyed. The Trump plan attempts to resolve all the issues at once, by laying out Hamas disarmament and a post-war scenario for governing the territory with provisions for a major reconstruction campaign.

Donald Trump's friendship with Jeffrey Epstein has been in the spotlight in recent months.
US President Donald Trump wants to oversee post-war Gaza. (AP)

Foreign ministers from European and Arab countries will meet in Paris on Thursday to signal their support for Trump’s plan and discuss the future of Gaza. The meeting will focus on the potential deployment of an international stabilisation force, Gaza’s post-war governance, Hamas’ disarmament and humanitarian aid and reconstruction, officials said on condition of anonymity because they couldn’t publicly disclose details of the meeting.

Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Sa’ar criticized the French initiative as being “concocted behind Israel’s back at the sensitive timing of the negotiations in Sharm el-Sheikh.”

Sa’ar said that he hopes the initiative won’t “undermine the critical negotiations for the release of hostages, as it already happened in the past.”

In the Hamas-led attack two years ago, militants stormed into southern Israel and killed around 1200 people, mostly civilians, and abducted 251. Most hostages have since been released in ceasefires or other deals.

A growing number of experts, including those commissioned by a UN body, have said that Israel’s offensive in Gaza amounts to genocide – an accusation Israel denies. More than 67,000 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza and nearly 170,000 wounded, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.

The ministry, which doesn’t differentiate between civilians and combatants but says around half of the deaths were women and children, is part of the Hamas-run government. The United Nations and many independent experts consider its figures to be the most reliable estimate of wartime casualties.

Civilians flee in Rafah as Israel pushes ahead with its offensive

The ministry said Wednesday that the bodies of 10 people killed by Israeli strikes had been brought to local hospitals over the past 24 hours.

In the Gaza Strip, where much of the territory lies in ruins, Palestinians are desperate for a breakthrough. Thousands fleeing Israel’s latest ground offensive in northern Gaza and Gaza City have set up makeshift tents along the beach in the central part of the territory, sometimes using blankets for shelter.

“There is no food, nor good water, and blockage of crossings,” said Um Sulaiman Abu Afash, a displaced woman from Gaza City.

“Our kids sleep in the streets. We buy drinking water. Where do we go? There’s no mercy.”

Sara Rihan, a displaced woman from Jabaliya, said she was praying for an end to the war.

“I hope we return to our places and homes even if there are no homes,” she said.

“Our existence in our land is the biggest happiness for us.”

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Jetstar

Jetstar Passengers Face Further Delays as Airlines Rush to Address Airbus Aircraft Issues

The recent wave of flight cancellations stems from an extensive recall of…
President Nicolás Maduro of Venezuela greets his supporters during a rally to commemorate Indigenous Resistance Day on October 12, 2025 in Caracas, Venezuela.

Trump Declares Venezuelan Skies Off-Limits: A Bold Move in International Airspace Policy

President Donald Trump on Saturday said that the airspace “above and surrounding”…
A man was arrested, but was then released without charge in the Elizabeth North stabbing in Adelaide.

Critical Condition: Shocking Adelaide Stabbing Leaves Man Fighting for His Life

A 32-year-old man is in critical condition following an alleged stabbing incident…

Australia Steps Up: Addressing Fiji’s Escalating HIV Crisis with Strategic Support

While Australia is considered to be on track to virtually eliminate HIV…
Large crowds are expected for the line's opening of the Melbopurne Metro Tunnel extension.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Launch: A New Era of Seamless City Commutes Begins

This morning marks a significant milestone for Melbourne as the much-anticipated Metro…

Massive Passport System Failure Strands Travelers at Airports Across the Country

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…
An aerial view of the burnt buildings after a deadly fire at Wang Fuk Court, a residential estate in the Tai Po district of Hong Kong's New Territories,

Investigation Launched into Corruption and Negligence in Hong Kong’s Most Devastating Fire in Decades

The recent devastating fire in Hong Kong, the deadliest in decades, has…

Trump Shuts Down Venezuelan Airspace Amid Escalating Tensions: What It Means for Global Politics

US President Donald Trump has warned that the airspace above and near…