Share and Follow
![]()
ANKARA – Peace negotiations between Pakistan and Afghanistan reached a standstill in Istanbul after three days of discussions, with state media from both nations on Tuesday attributing the breakdown to each other’s actions. Meanwhile, Turkey continues its efforts to mediate and resolve the impasse.
The Istanbul meetings are part of a larger diplomatic effort aimed at reducing months of escalating tensions between Islamabad and Kabul. These tensions have been fueled by cross-border attacks and the presence of militant sanctuaries, issues that have persisted since the Taliban regained control in Afghanistan four years ago.
Although delegations from both countries remain in Turkey, it remains uncertain if a fourth day of negotiations will take place.
According to a report by Pakistan Television early Tuesday, Turkish officials, along with representatives from various countries, are actively working to uphold the ceasefire established on October 19 in Doha following the initial round of talks. This agreement came in the wake of deadly cross-border skirmishes that resulted in numerous casualties, including soldiers, militants, and civilians on both sides.
Three Pakistani security officials, who are privy to the discussions, informed The Associated Press that the talks in Istanbul are at an impasse due to Kabul’s hesitation to accept what they consider Pakistan’s reasonable and rightful demands. These demands include assurances that Afghan territory will not be used for activities against Pakistan.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media. They said the host country was trying to end the deadlock so that the final round of the talks can resume as soon as possible.
According to the Pakistani officials, the Taliban delegation was “not fully willing” to accept Pakistan’s proposals and continued to seek guidance from Kabul before making decisions.
There was no immediate response from Kabul about the Pakistani claims, repeated by Pakistan Television on Tuesday.
Afghanistan-controlled media RTA made similar accusations against the Pakistani side, saying Kabul “made every effort to hold constructive talks,” but that the “Pakistani side does not seem to have this intention.”
As the latest round of the talks was underway in Turkey, U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday pledged to help resolve the crisis between the two neighbors very quickly.
The recent fighting prompted Qatar to host the initial round of talks, which produced a ceasefire that both sides say is still holding despite the stalemate in Istanbul.
There was no official statement from either side about the status of the talks.
Islamabad-based security analyst Syed Mohammad Ali on Tuesday said Afghanistan’s strategy at the talks was to slow the diplomatic process and shift focus to other bilateral issues. He noted Afghanistan’s “reluctance to give clear, unambiguous and internationally verifiable commitment to act against Afghanistan-based Pakistani Taliban and other militants.”
Pakistan has seen a surge in militant attacks in recent years, mostly blamed on the Pakistani Taliban, or Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan, a group closely allied to the Taliban in Afghanistan. Islamabad says the group is being sheltered in Afghanistan since the Taliban seized power in 2021.
Authorities in Pakistan have said the country’s military earlier this month targeted hideouts of the TTP in Afghanistan. It triggered deadly clashes between the two countries until Qatar brokered the ceasefire.
All border crossings between the two sides have remained shut for more than two weeks, however, with trucks carrying goods stranded and waiting for the reopening of key trade routes.
___
Ahmed reported from Islamabad.
Copyright 2025 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.