Share and Follow
In DuPage County, Illinois, local food pantries are bracing for an increase in demand as SNAP benefits are set to expire this weekend. The pressure is mounting on these organizations to provide enough support to families in need, and there is growing concern that they may not be able to keep up with the rising demand.
Terry Roman, a disabled truck driver, is one of many who will feel the impact of this change. For now, Roman is assured of a meal on Wednesday, but the looming expiration of his SNAP assistance is causing anxiety. At 59, he resides in a shelter and relies heavily on the $292 monthly benefits to purchase groceries.
ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch
“I’m basically out of work at the moment,” Roman explained. “I depend on that assistance because my income is minimal. It’s crucial for my survival.”
Roman’s situation is emblematic of the thousands in DuPage County who are on the brink of food insecurity. The end of SNAP benefits presents a significant challenge, highlighting the critical role these programs play in supporting vulnerable populations.
The DuPage County man is among the thousands of people on the verge of becoming food insecure there.
Workers at the Glen House Food Pantry say the number of people on their waitlist for service has ballooned to more than 100.
SEE ALSO: Illinois among 25 states to sue Trump admin. to keep SNAP funds flowing amid government shutdown
They say suspension of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program aid will affect more than 70,000 people in Chicago’s western collar county.
“We were serving, offered shopping opportunities about 300 times a week. Last week, next week we’re gonna boost that to 435. We’re squeezing more people in for every hour we’re here. We’re adding hours so people have a chance to shop,” said Laura Glaza, Glen House Food Pantry executive director.
As a part of the so-called Big Beautiful Bill, the Trump administration cut food assistance benefits. And now because of the federal government shutdown and emergency funding, the program is ending.
“I am gravely concerned about the ending of SNAP benefits starting on Nov. 1,” said Julie Yurko, Northern Illinois Food Bank president and CEO.
Yurko runs the Northern Illinois Food Bank, which operates in 13 counties surrounding Chicago.
As a part of the Feeding America Network of food banks, it serves on average 570,000 people, a majority who receive SNAP every month, which is highest number the organization has seen.
“Every meal we provide, SNAP provides nine. Can we make up eight meals? We cannot. There’s no way we can keep up with this,” Yurko said.
In the meantime, food banks and pantries are trying to figure out creative ways to fill the void and continue to make sure that people, like Roman, have enough food to eat.
To address SNAP benefits going away, it’s expected Illinois’ governor will sign an executive order Thursday, directing $20 million in state funding for food bank support across Illinois.
Meanwhile, the Veterans Assistance Partnership is ready to help veterans who will be losing their SNAP benefits.
Veterans Assistance Partnership founder Tatshee Simmons joined ABC7 Chicago in-studio Wednesday to talk more about their efforts.
For more information, go to veteransassistancepartnership.org.