Share and Follow


Iran has expressed “disgust” at Australia’s formal designation of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) as a state sponsor of terrorism, describing the move as an “unjustified and insulting action” intended to “pay ransom” to Israel.
The reaction, to what was largely a formality from the Australian government, marks the latest escalation in a months-long dispute that began when Australian intelligence agencies linked the IRGC to two arson attacks targeting Jewish community sites in Sydney and Melbourne in 2024.
New legislation passed earlier this month enabled the government to list foreign state entities as sponsors of terrorism, with the IRGC becoming the first to be designated under the framework.
In a statement, Iran’s foreign ministry said the designation, made by Australia on Thursday, was “illegal, unjustifiable, and in violation of international rules and norms that safeguard a state’s sovereignty,” arguing that Australia’s decision rested on “completely false and fabricated accusations by the security institutions of the Zionist regime,” referring to Israel.

Iran has voiced its strong disapproval over what it perceives as certain Australian politicians’ support for Israel’s policies, which Tehran describes as spreading falsehoods against Iran. This sentiment was expressed in a statement released on Telegram this past Friday.

Intelligence agency findings that Iran orchestrated the arson attacks led Australia to expel Iran’s ambassador — the first such expulsion since World War Two — and later to recall its own envoy, signalling a steep deterioration in relations.
At the time, an Israeli government spokesperson said it compelled Australia to act, but Australia’s Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke strongly denied this, in October saying Australia acted on its own intelligence.

The statement was issued after comments made by Australian politician Burke in August, where he labeled the idea that Israel had influenced Australia’s decisions as “complete nonsense.”

It further accused the government of allowing the “long-standing diplomatic relationship between Iran and Australia [to become] a means of reconciliation and paying ransom to the Zionist occupying regime.”
In recent weeks, Israel’s spy agency Mossad has publicly discussed alleged IRGC involvement in antisemitic activity abroad, including Australia, prompting further scrutiny of Iran’s regional operations.
Australia has rejected Iran’s claims about it’s relationship with Israel. Foreign Affairs Minister Penny Wong said: “Iran’s attacks were unprecedented and dangerous acts of aggression orchestrated by a foreign nation on Australian soil,” and stressed the listing is intended to deter further activity and restrict any dealings with the IRGC.
A joint statement from Wong, Burke and Attorney-General Michelle Rowland on Thursday said the arson attacks were “designed to undermine and sow division in our multicultural society, by targeting Jewish Australians to inflict harm and stoke fear”.

Meanwhile, members of the Iranian Australian community view the designation as a significant step. They believe it holds the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) accountable while simultaneously enhancing safety measures for their communities.

“This is a landmark decision that strengthens national security and protects multicultural society,” Suren Edgar, vice president of the Australian Iranian Community Alliance, said in a statement on Friday.
“It also acknowledges the years of tireless advocacy and evidence-based warnings raised by Iranian-Australian activists, human rights defenders, and community organisations regarding the IRGC’s violent operations, intimidation networks, and foreign influence activities on Australian soil.”
Meanwhile, the Australian Iranian Community Organisation said: “For many Australians of Iranian background, this decision is also deeply personal.”
“Our community includes refugees, former political prisoners, human rights defenders, and families who have directly experienced harm and intimidation linked to the IRGC,” president Siamak Ghahreman said in a statment on Friday.
“Today’s decision meaningfully reflects [our] long-standing concerns and advocacy.”

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Lukas Schindler from Switzerland crossing the finish line at the Sydney marathon.

Heroic Act: Swiss Tourist Who Bravely Rescued Girlfriend from Shark Attack Identified

A Swiss tourist has been identified as the courageous individual who attempted…
Remembering Virginia Giuffre: The woman who helped bring down Jeffery Epstein

Inside the Modest Estate at the Center of Virginia Giuffre’s Legal Showdown

The legal dispute over the estate of Virginia Giuffre, known for accusing…
A black Volkswagen hatchback that was involved in a car accident in Sydney's west.

Heartless Fugitive: Man Carjacks Good Samaritan in Desperate Escape

A man is currently evading authorities after he allegedly stole a vehicle…
Brian Johnson (L) and Angus Young of AC/DC

Former Spotify Executive Warns Streaming Platforms Threaten Australian Music Industry

A former Spotify executive has exposed how streaming music algorithms from industry…

Protect Yourself: Top Holiday Scams Targeting Australians and How to Identify Them

If that unbelievable holiday bargain or too-perfect TikTok find seems tempting, experts…
It was meant to be the best week of their lives. But an Aussie couple's trip to Fiji for their dream wedding quickly descended into chaos

Dream Wedding Turned Nightmare: Aussie Couple’s Fiji Adventure Unravels in Chaos

An Australian father has been given the heartbreaking news that he has…

Ukraine’s Political Shakeup: Zelenskyy’s Top Aide Resigns Amid Corruption Probe

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s powerful chief of staff Andriy Yermak, a close ally…
Lucas died after a stabbing in Sydney's Rouse Hill.

Heartfelt Tribute: Family Honors ‘Loyal Young Man’ After Tragic Stabbing of Teen

The grieving parents of a Sydney teenager, tragically killed in a park…