Share and Follow
The origins of the blaze and whether it was avoidable are now under scrutiny.

A woman, shielding her face with a tissue, exits a community center where images of fire victims are displayed to help identify them. Source: SIPA USA / Vernon Yuen
Kiko Ma, a resident of Wang Fuk Court, revealed to the BBC that fire alarms were disabled during ongoing renovations, and construction personnel frequently utilized the emergency exits for their comings and goings.
“Those responsible used minor incentives to persuade unsuspecting elderly inhabitants to back their initiatives,” they shared in an Instagram comment.

Firefighters worked through the night to bring the blaze under control after it erupted on Wednesday afternoon. Source: AP / Chan Long Hei
Wang Fuk Court, with eight blocks, is one of many high-rise housing complexes in Hong Kong, one of the most densely populated areas in the world.
Derek Armstrong Chan, deputy director of fire services, said most of the victims had been found in two high-rise blocks of the complex. He said firefighters had found residents who were alive in several of the buildings.
Volunteers deliver mattresses and bedding
“He gets those students to help in five different spots”.
Andy Lau (left) and Travis said they wanted to help Hong Kong residents. Source: SBS News / Cameron Carr
Navigating the congested roads around Tai Po was challenging, with Travis and Lau having to transfer mattresses and bedding from trucks to smaller minivans.
“It’s all we can do. We can only provide materials and there’s nothing else we can do.”
‘Helpless and anxious’
“Everyone is asking how this could happen in such a developed society. A construction site should have rigorous fire safety protocols.”

Former Tai Po resident Jane Poon. Source: Supplied
Poon said people are also concerned about previous renovations at the destroyed building and that there were “problems” with the owners’ corporation.
“Everyone is worried about the residents of Wang Fuk Court who have lost contact and need to know their current situation. We hope for the swift rescue and family reunification of all affected.”
Three men from construction company arrested
Police seized bidding documents, a list of employees, 14 computers and three mobile phones in a raid of the company’s office, the government added.

The fire is Hong Kong’s deadliest in decades. Source: SIPA USA / Vernon Yuen
“The priority is to extinguish the fire and rescue the residents who are trapped,” Hong Kong leader John Lee told reporters earlier. “The second is to support the injured. The third is to support and recover. Then, we’ll launch a thorough investigation.”

Hundreds of people have been evacuated to temporary shelters. Source: SIPA USA / Vernon Yuen
From the mainland, China’s President Xi Jinping urged an “all-out effort” to extinguish the fire and to minimise casualties and losses, China’s state broadcaster CCTV said.