Trump, Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro spoke last week about possible meeting: report
Share and Follow

Recent reports from the New York Times reveal that President Donald Trump engaged in a conversation with Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro last week. The discussion reportedly touched on the possibility of a future meeting in the United States, as shared by several sources familiar with the situation.

According to the newspaper, no concrete plans have been set for such a meeting. If it were to happen, it would mark the first face-to-face interaction between the authoritarian Venezuelan president and a sitting US leader.

This disclosure of the phone call surfaces amidst Trump’s ongoing strong rhetoric against Venezuela, paired with a willingness to explore diplomatic avenues.

Trump has previously expressed his openness to dialogue with Maduro, and the Times’ findings suggest that a direct conversation has already occurred.

The Trump administration has consistently labeled Maduro as an illegitimate head of state, accusing him of heading a drug trafficking network known as the Cartel de los Soles, a claim that the Venezuelan government has consistently refuted.

Many independent experts say that while narco-corruption in the Venezuelan government is a major issue, there is little proof of an organized grouping of officials that could be traditionally called a cartel.

Since early September, the US government has been bombing alleged drug boats originating in Venezuela and other Latin American nations, a practice that Democrats, scholars and human rights experts have described as extrajudicial executions.

On Thursday, Trump repeated his previous threats to begin bombing land-based targets.

“The land is easier, but that’s going to start very soon,” Trump told reporters.

Neither the White House nor the Venezuelan communications ministry, which handles all press requests for the government, responded to requests for comments.

White House officials have said that Trump does not see pursuing military and diplomatic tracks as mutually exclusive in Venezuela.

A major military buildup in the Caribbean has been underway for months, and Trump has authorized covert CIA operations in the South American nation.

On Sunday, Reuters reported that the US was about to enter a new phase of Venezuela-related operations, which could include the deployment of covert options.

Two US officials told Reuters the options under consideration included attempting to overthrow Maduro.

Earlier on Friday, The Washington Post reported that the US government deliberately killed survivors after bombing a drug boat near Trinidad in a so-called “double tap” strike after Pentagon chief Pete Hegseth gave a directive to “kill everybody.”

The Pentagon called the article misleading, but it could nevertheless intensify concerns about the legality of US operations in the area.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Ice skating in the Sunshine state: rink opens under Fuller Warren Bridge

Florida’s Coolest Attraction: New Ice Skating Rink Opens Under Fuller Warren Bridge

The public ice rink will welcome skaters until January 19th. JACKSONVILLE, Fla.…
Northwestern to pay $75M in federal civil-rights deal after antisemitism probes

Northwestern’s $75M Settlement: Unveiling the Antisemitism Probe and Its Impact on Civil Rights

The Trump administration unveiled a comprehensive civil rights agreement on Friday involving…
Face the facts about NYC's plummeting public-school enrollment

Discover the Truth Behind NYC’s Declining School Enrollment Rates

New York City’s public school enrollment has experienced a 2% decline this…
40 years of Petesgiving: Thousands celebrate at annual Thanksgiving party in Neptune Beach

Join the Festive Tradition: Discover 40 Years of Petesgiving Magic in Neptune Beach

Since its inception in 1933 by founder Pete Jensen, Pete’s Bar has…
Robert A.M. Stern, noted American architect, dies at 86

Renowned American Architect Robert A.M. Stern Passes Away at 86

Renowned architect Robert A.M. Stern, a significant influence in American architecture, passed…
Exclusive | Inside 'Stranger Things' Season 5 costume looks: Hopper, Dustin and more

Exclusive First Look: Unveiling ‘Stranger Things’ Season 5 Costumes for Hopper, Dustin, and More

In a nostalgic nod to the ’80s, “Stranger Things” costume designer Amy…
Father of fallen National Guard member calls her death a 'horrible tragedy' in heartbreaking post

Heartbreaking Tribute: Father Mourns ‘Horrible Tragedy’ of Fallen National Guard Hero

In a poignant message shared on Facebook, Gary Beckstrom announced the tragic…
Netflix star, 55, plunges to his death after horror fall from roof

Tragic Fall: Netflix Star’s Fatal Roof Accident at 55 Shocks Fans Worldwide

A voice actor for Netflix and film performer tragically lost his life…