Share and Follow
In response to a recent deadly ambush in Washington, D.C., National Guard members are altering their patrol strategies to enhance unpredictability and safety. This shift comes after a tragic incident that resulted in the death of one soldier and left another critically injured.
On Friday, small contingents of Guardsmen could be seen navigating the downtown area on foot. Their presence was notably vigilant near the site where Rahmanullah Lakanwal is accused of fatally shooting Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and critically wounding Andrew Wolfe, 24.
Prior to the shocking attack on Wednesday, Guard members typically maintained stationary posts throughout the city. These fixed positions included high-traffic areas such as the Metro stations, major streets, and the National Mall.

Reflecting on the need for change, a Guardsman, who preferred to remain unnamed, shared insights with The Post. “We’ve got to elevate everything to a higher standard compared to the more relaxed approach we had before,” he remarked. “Previously, you had some individuals coming up and heckling you… Now, it’s just a matter of always staying alert.”
“You had some individuals coming up heckling you [before] . . . And now it’s just kind of always be on alert.”
National Guard patrols are also now being joined with by members of DC’s Metropolitan Police Department, adding firepower and knowledge of the local terrain to the mix.
The Washington Post reported that DC police will accompany Guard troops at least temporarily, in a shift that acknowledges the risks of the status quo.
“Officers will conduct high-visibility patrols with the national guard and provide assistance as needed,” according to an email to DC leadership obtained by the Washington Post.
A spokesman for Joint Task Force – District of Columbia would not confirm the report.
“We are going to maintain our relationship with MPD as they are one of our major law enforcement partners,” the spokesman said. “Due to operational security concerns we’re not going to discuss any potential changes to our security posture.”
“I think it’s a sound thing to do, it just reinforces each other. It just makes it more of a deterrent that they would come after a National Guard officer,” former Assistant FBI Director Chris Swecker told The Post of changes in how Guard members are deployed.

He pointed to similar ambushes of police officers on US streets.
“You can’t have your gun drawn and pivoting like you’re in a gun fight 24/7. You get eyes in the back of your head, but it’s nearly impossible to stop this from happening if you have someone that’s motivated and you’re on a crowded street,” he added.
President Trump ordered the deployment of an additional 500 National Guard members to DC after the shooting. Two thousand Guard troops were already serving in DC under Trump’s “Safe and Beautiful Task Force.”