US halts all asylum decisions after shooting of National Guard members
Share and Follow


In Bellingham, Washington, the Trump administration has put a stop to all asylum verdicts and temporarily halted visa issuance for Afghan passport holders. This move comes in the wake of a National Guard shooting in the capital, which the administration is using to bolster its stance on limiting legal immigration.

The tragic incident near the White House on Wednesday resulted in the death of Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, aged 20, and left Staff Sgt. Andrew Wolfe, aged 24, in critical condition. Both were members of the West Virginia National Guard. The suspect, connected to this attack, is facing serious charges including first-degree murder as investigators strive to uncover the motive behind his actions.

The alleged shooter, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, is a 29-year-old Afghan who had resided in Bellingham, Washington, roughly 80 miles north of Seattle. His background includes working with the CIA during the Afghanistan War. Lakanwal sought asylum during the Biden administration and secured it earlier this year under President Trump, as reported by a resettlement organization that aids Afghans who supported U.S. forces.

In response, the Republican-led administration is now pledging to temporarily suspend the entry of individuals from several economically disadvantaged nations. Additionally, they plan to reassess the status of Afghans and other legal immigrants currently residing in the United States.

The two National Guard members were part of President Trump’s initiative to combat crime in Washington D.C. Trump has previously attempted to deploy National Guard troops to various cities to aid his expansive deportation plans, though these efforts have encountered legal hurdles.

The office of U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro, the top federal prosecutor in Washington, D.C., said the charges against Lakanwal also include two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed. There were “many changes to come,” she told Fox News.

Asylum decisions halted

Trump said the shooting was a “terrorist attack” and he criticized the Biden administration for enabling entry to the U.S. by Afghans who had worked with American forces.

The director of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, Joseph Edlow, said in a post on the social platform X that asylum decisions will be paused “until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible.”

Experts say the U.S. has rigorous systems to conduct background checks of asylum-seekers. Asylum claims made from inside the country through USCIS have long faced backlogs. Critics say the slowdown has been exacerbated under the Republican administration.

Meanwhile, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said his department has paused “visa issuance for ALL individuals traveling on Afghan passports.”

Shawn VanDiver, president of the San Diego-based group #AfghanEvac, said in response: “They are using a single violent individual as cover for a policy they have long planned, turning their own intelligence failures into an excuse to punish an entire community and the veterans who served alongside them.”

The suspect

Lakanwal lived in Bellingham with his wife and five children, former landlord Kristina Widman said.

Neighbor Mohammad Sherzad said Lakanwal was polite and quiet and spoke little English. Sherzad said he attended the same mosque as Lakanwal and heard from other members that he was struggling to find work. He said Lakanwal “disappeared” about two weeks ago.

The mosque condemned the shootings. “The Islamic Society of Whatcom County is deeply saddened and shaken by the heinous attack in Washington, D.C. Our hearts go out to the victims, their families, and all those impacted. We condemn this act unequivocally,” the mosque said in a statement Saturday afternoon.

The statement went on to say that the mosque is cooperating with the FBI, but that members didn’t know the suspect very well, saying he was “not an integrated part of our community. Like any house of worship, our doors were open to those who wished to pray alongside us,” the statement said, adding that the shootings “do not represent our faith,” and that “no community should be judged by the conduct of a single person.”

Lakanwal worked briefly this summer as an independent contractor for Amazon Flex, which lets people use their own cars to deliver packages, according to a company spokesperson.

Investigators were executing warrants in Washington state and other parts of the country.

Lakanwal entered the U.S. in 2021 through Operation Allies Welcome, a Biden administration program that resettled Afghans after the U.S. withdrawal, officials said. Lakanwal applied for asylum during that administration, but his asylum was approved this year under the Trump administration, #AfghanEvac said in a statement.

Lakanwal served in a CIA-backed Afghan Army unit, known as one of the special Zero Units, in the southern province of Kandahar, according to a resident of the eastern province of Khost who identified himself as Lakanwal’s cousin and spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

The man said Lakanwal started out working for the unit as a security guard in 2012 and was later promoted to become a team leader and a GPS specialist.

Beckstrom ‘exemplified leadership, dedication’

Beckstrom enlisted in 2023 after graduating high school and served with distinction as a military police officer with the 863rd Military Police Company, the West Virginia National Guard said.

“She exemplified leadership, dedication, and professionalism,” the guard said in a statement, adding that Beckstrom volunteered for the deployment in Washington.

There was a moment of silence Saturday for Beckstrom and Wolfe before West Virginia University’s football game against Texas Tech in Morgantown.

More troops headed to the nation’s capital

The administration has ordered 500 more National Guard members to the nation’s capital. An Army spokesperson said several governors were planning to support the operation and that specific troop announcements would come from their offices. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth said the president had asked him to send the troops.

Nearly 2,200 troops are currently assigned to the joint task force that has operated in the city since August, according to the government’s latest update.

___

Binkley and Finley reported from Washington, D.C. Associated Press journalists John Raby, Gary Fields, Stephen Groves, Sarah Brumfield, Siddiqullah Alizai, Elena Becatoros, Randy Herschaft and Hallie Golden contributed to this report.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like

Celebrated Playwright and Oscar Winner Tom Stoppard Passes at 88: A Legacy in Theater and Film

LONDON (AP) — Renowned British playwright Tom Stoppard, celebrated for his witty…

Russian Strikes Claim Two Lives in Kyiv Amid Intensified Diplomatic Push for Peace in Ukraine

KYIV – In the early hours of Saturday, Russian missile and drone…

Unveiling the Truth: Can Vaping Lead to Secondhand Smoke? Experts Weigh In on Health Impacts

(NEXSTAR) – Have you ever found yourself enveloped in a cloud of…

FC Alliance North Girls Clinch State Championship Victory

In a thrilling turn of events, a team from the FC Alliance…

Champaign County Welcomes Back Beloved German Christmas Market: A Festive Tradition Returns

URBANA, Ill. (WCIA) — A cherished holiday tradition that began in 2019…

Thanksgiving Day Fire in Mattoon Displaces Six Residents: Firefighters Respond to Urgent Call

In Mattoon, Illinois, a house fire on Thursday afternoon has left six…

Mamdani’s Victory Sparks Progressive Momentum for NYC House Races

The election of New York City’s incoming mayor, Zohran Mamdani, has invigorated…

Tensions Mount as Protestor Arrests Ignite Controversy Over Rainbow Crosswalk Removal

ORLANDO, Fla. – A crosswalk positioned outside the former Pulse nightclub has…