'It's impossible': Netanyahu calls for controversial corruption pardon
Share and Follow
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has asked the country’s president to grant him a pardon from corruption charges — seeking to end a long-running trial that has bitterly divided the nation.

Prime Minister Netanyahu, who has been embroiled in a contentious battle with Israel’s legal system over various charges, has asserted that his recent request for a pardon would promote national unity amidst significant regional developments.

However, this move has sparked immediate backlash from his adversaries. They argue that granting such a pardon would undermine Israel’s democratic institutions, sending a perilous signal that Netanyahu is above the law.

Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu addresses lawmakers in the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, in Jerusalem, Monday, November 10, 2025. (AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg)

On Sunday, the Prime Minister’s office announced that Netanyahu had formally submitted a pardon request to the legal department of the President’s Office. The President’s Office described this as an “extraordinary request,” highlighting its “significant implications.”

Netanyahu is notably the first sitting Israeli Prime Minister to face trial, with charges of fraud, breach of trust, and accepting bribes across three distinct cases involving alleged exchanges of favors with affluent political allies. As of now, he has not been convicted.

Firmly denying the accusations, Netanyahu has criticized the legal proceedings as a witch hunt, orchestrated by what he claims to be a collusion of the media, police, and the judiciary.

In a videotaped statement, Netanyahu said the trial has divided the country and that a pardon would help restore national unity. He also said the requirement that he appear in court three times a week is a distraction that makes it difficult for him to lead the country.

“The continuation of the trial tears us apart from within, stirs up this division, and deepens rifts,” he said.

Donald Trump has said he will pardon the former president of Honduras.
Donald Trump has called for Netanyahu to be pardoned. (AP)

“I am sure, like many others in the nation, that an immediate conclusion of the trial would greatly help to lower the flames and promote the broad reconciliation that our country so desperately needs.”

Netanyahu has taken the stand multiple times over the past year, but the case has been repeatedly delayed as he has dealt with Israel’s wars and unrest stemming from the Hamas-led militant attacks of October 2023.

Netanyahu’s pardon request consisted of two documents — a detailed letter signed by his lawyer and a letter signed by Netanyahu. They’ll be sent to the justice ministry for opinions and will then be transferred to the Legal Adviser in the Office of the President, which will formulate additional opinions for the president.

Legal experts say the pardon request is not able to stop the trial.

“It’s impossible,” said Emi Palmor, former director general of the justice ministry.

Yair Lapid
Opposition leader Yair Lapid speaks in Israel’s parliament in October last year. (Debbie Hill/AP via CNN Newsource)

“You cannot claim that you’re innocent while the trial is going on and come to the president and ask him to intervene,” she said.

The only way to stop the trial is to ask the attorney general to withhold the proceedings, she said.

Netanyahu’s request sparked an immediate response from the opposition, which urged the president not to give in to his request.

“You cannot grant him a pardon without an admission of guilt, an expression of remorse and an immediate retirement from political life,” said opposition leader Yair Lapid.

Share and Follow
You May Also Like
Large crowds are expected for the line's opening of the Melbopurne Metro Tunnel extension.

Melbourne Metro Tunnel Launch: A New Era of Seamless City Commutes Begins

This morning marks a significant milestone for Melbourne as the much-anticipated Metro…

From Digital Sparks to Aisle Marks: The Rabbitohs Romance Behind Australia’s Most Anticipated Wedding

Like many modern relationships, it started with a slide into DMs on…
A man was arrested, but was then released without charge in the Elizabeth North stabbing in Adelaide.

Critical Condition: Shocking Adelaide Stabbing Leaves Man Fighting for His Life

A 32-year-old man is in critical condition following an alleged stabbing incident…

Australia Steps Up: Addressing Fiji’s Escalating HIV Crisis with Strategic Support

While Australia is considered to be on track to virtually eliminate HIV…

Massive Passport System Failure Strands Travelers at Airports Across the Country

Travellers going through Australian airports were temporarily delayed on Sunday after a…
Dozens arrested in Port of Newcastle climate change protest

Mass Arrests at Port of Newcastle: Climate Change Protest Sparks Major Crackdown

Authorities have detained numerous climate change activists following ongoing protests at the…

El Jannah’s Journey: From Family-Run Chicken Spot to International Phenomenon

Beloved restaurant chain El Jannah began modestly in 1998, when Lebanese immigrants…
The huge fireball reached up to 150 metres in height. It occurred after an industrial fire in North St Marys in Western Sydney.

Major Industrial Fire in Sydney’s West Expected to Persist for Several Days

In a concerted effort, approximately 200 firefighters have been dispatched to combat…