Five Dynamic Players Now Cleared for State of Origin Selection: Boost Your Team’s Lineup

The National Rugby League (NRL) has ushered in a new era by revamping the eligibility rules for State of Origin, opening doors for numerous...
HomeAUAustralia Keeps a Close Watch on Chinese Naval Activity in Philippine Waters

Australia Keeps a Close Watch on Chinese Naval Activity in Philippine Waters

Share and Follow


Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles has confirmed the government is monitoring a Chinese navy fleet in the Philippine Sea.

The exact path and scale of the fleet remain unverified, yet surveillance efforts are underway to brace for the potential scenario of the “task group” heading towards Australian territory.

“We don’t know where it’s going, and it could have a whole lot of destinations,” Marles told reporters on Monday afternoon.

“We are observing the situation closely and will persist in doing so until we are certain it is not bound for Australia,” stated the defence minister.

Marles said it appeared to be a “routine” movement but because it was reported by the Australian Financial Review last week, he wanted to acknowledge it.

These remarks came following the announcement of a substantial restructuring within the Defence Department, designed to transform its operational dynamics. The government is presenting this initiative as the most significant reform in nearly 50 years.

“This new structure will collaborate closely with the Department of Defence and the Australian Defence Force, while maintaining independence in its operations and reporting to the Government through the Minister for Defence and the Minister for Defence Industry,” the minister elaborated.

A new combined Defence Delivery Agency will replace the Capability Acquisition and Sustainment Group, the Guided Weapons and Explosive Ordnance Enterprise and the Naval Shipbuilding and Sustainment Group.
“The agency will be autonomous,” Marles said.

“It will work clearly in partnership with the Department of Defence and the Australian Defence Force, but it will be autonomous in the way in which it does its work and the way in which it reports to Government through the Minister for Defence and the Minister for Defence Industry.”

He described the new consolidated group as being a better use of funding in the defence portfolio.
“This is one of the biggest changes to defence that we have seen,” Marles said.
“It will greatly change how defence operates.
“It will greatly improve the quality of the defence spend, and it will make sure that as we spend more money in the defence budget, we are doing so in a way which sees programs delivered on time and on budget.”
The government is moving to reassure staff the consolidation won’t involve job cuts.

Share and Follow