Geelong Gym Incident: Nurse Targeted in Shocking Racist Assault

A young nurse has been left with a broken nose after being allegedly assaulted in a racial attack at a gym in Geelong. In a...
HomeAUBottle Shop Assault: Victim Speaks Out as Suspected Attackers Gain Bail Ahead...

Bottle Shop Assault: Victim Speaks Out as Suspected Attackers Gain Bail Ahead of Hospital Discharge

Share and Follow

A 22-year-old employee at a bottle shop in Adelaide has recounted a terrifying attack he endured at work, speaking exclusively to 9News about the harrowing experience.

Matthew Jarrett was working at the Thirsty Camel in Modbury when five teenagers allegedly stormed in, assaulting both him and a customer during a robbery attempt.

The violent incident, which occurred on a Sunday afternoon, was captured on CCTV and left Jarrett needing medical treatment at Modbury Hospital.

A 22-year-old bottle shop worker who was viciously bashed at his Adelaide workplace has told 9News of the terrifying ordeal.
A 22-year-old bottle shop worker who was viciously bashed at his Adelaide workplace has told 9News of the terrifying ordeal. (9News)

“They just came into the bottle shop and attacked me,” Jarrett shared.

“At least two of them were throwing punches and kicks. They had me completely surrounded,” he added, describing the chaotic scene.

“Both my arms were covered in my own blood, there was blood all over the shop.

“I caught quite a lot in the eye-socket.”

A 75-year-old war veteran was also punched, kicked, and thrown to the ground, as he attempted to stop the gang.

Jarrett said he was shocked at how the quickly the encounter turned violent.

“Once I was in that corner, I was completely backed against the wall. The best I could do was use my legs to create distance,” he said. 

Jarrett said the bottle shop had been targeted by thieves twice in recent days, with another incident also occurring in June. 

Jarrett said he was shocked at how the quickly the encounter turned violent.
Jarrett said he was shocked at how the quickly the encounter turned violent. (Nine)

The 75-year-old victim of the assault is still recovering from head injuries. 

He told 9News he has concerns over the alleged attackers’ quick release on bail, a point agreed to by Jarrett.

 “The children, they were out on bail before I was out of hospital,” Jarrett said.

Police Minister Blair Boyer acknowledged he was concerned by the footage, but said he is confident his government’s reforms are helping to decrease crime.

“We saw arrests very quickly of five people. That’s a good thing, our resourcing of SAPOL is critical here.”

This article was produced with the assistance of 9ExPress.
Share and Follow