HomeAUInvestigation Links Bondi Attack to Online ISIS Video: Uncovering the Digital Trail

Investigation Links Bondi Attack to Online ISIS Video: Uncovering the Digital Trail

Share and Follow

In Canberra today, it was revealed that the National Security Committee has convened six times following the attack that shocked many. The meetings have underscored a chilling detail: an online video stream from the Islamic State has been discovered, suggesting that the gunmen were indeed inspired by ISIS.

Prime Minister Albanese emphasized the importance of understanding both the motivation and the method behind the heinous act. “In responding to the mass murder we witnessed on Sunday, we must consider both motivation and method,” he stated.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese speaking in Canberra, December 19.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said an ISIS video feed is being probed as motivation behind the Bondi attack. (Supplied)

Authorities have been informed by the Office of National Intelligence about the existence of a consistent video feed from ISIS, which bolsters the belief that this attack was motivated by the extremist group. Albanese noted, “Today, we’ve been informed that the Office of National Intelligence has identified a regular online video feed from ISIS that reinforces that this was an ISIS-inspired attack.”

“Today, we’ve been informed that the Office of National Intelligence has identified a regular online video feed from ISIS that reinforces that this was an ISIS-inspired attack.

“Further work is being done by the security agencies around motivation, and we’ll continue to meet and provide them with whatever support they need at this difficult time.”

Naveed Akram, 24, captured during the Bondi terror attack on Sunday, December 14. Naveed is accused of carrying out the attack that killed 15 people.
Naveed Akram, 24, captured during the Bondi terror attack on Sunday, December 14. Naveed is accused of carrying out the attack that killed 15 people. (Supplied)

He also said Islamic extremism is just one of the “escalating” national security threats Australia is dealing with.

“I want to deal with all of the threats,” he said.

“Whether it be extremist preparations of Islam leading to support for the ideology promoted by ISIS, whether it be about the issue of sovereign citizens killing police in Victoria and Queensland.

“I am concerned about neo-Nazis thinking it is okay to march down our street dressed in black, not worrying about their faces being covered, explicitly promoting that as well.”

The prime minister said threats to Australia’s social structure had been around for a long time.

“There are issues that have escalated and we need to take action against all of them.”

Share and Follow