Asian Markets Show Mixed Performance; US Futures Rise Amid AI Concerns Impacting Wall Street

BANGKOK – Asian markets presented a mixed picture on Friday, as significant investments in artificial intelligence and the possibility of a U.S.-Iran confrontation created...
HomeAUPremier Condemns Planned Protests Amidst Ongoing Crisis: 'Respect Those in Mourning

Premier Condemns Planned Protests Amidst Ongoing Crisis: ‘Respect Those in Mourning

Share and Follow
Chris Minns, who is pushing for parliament to grant “extraordinary powers” to the state government to restrict protests in the wake of terrorist attacks, warned that today was not the time to stage a rally.

“Please reconsider. Do not proceed with this,” urged Minns during an interview on Today.

NSW Premier Chris Minns
NSW Premier Chris Minns urged people not to protest today. (Today)

He emphasized, “At this moment, individuals are grieving and laying their loved ones to rest. Communities are uniting in their sorrow.”

Minns highlighted the particular impact on the Jewish community, saying, “They are coming together to mourn the loss of many cherished family members.”

He stressed the importance of not intensifying what is already a highly sensitive and potentially volatile situation.

The New South Wales Police have confirmed they are aware of an unauthorized gathering planned for Prince Alfred Park in Surry Hills today.

Police said a Form 1 was submitted on Wednesday, however, it was rejected.

“Without this authorisation, the event is not legally protected as an authorised assembly and individuals who choose to attend may be liable for obstruction and unlawful assembly offences,” police said in a statement.

NSW police walk along the promenade on Bondi Beach. (Kate Geraghty)

“The NSW Police Force recognises that this is not a time for public gatherings that may heighten tension or create additional risks to community safety.

“Operation Shelter will coordinate a significant policing response to any large-scale public gatherings at this time.”

Anyone planning to attend an unauthorised gathering is urged to reconsider, police said.

Minns is expected to recall NSW parliament next week to introduce the new protest laws and gun reforms.

The premier said earlier this week that the laws would see the police allowed to “declare a specific area where the public assemblies are restricted for a period of time” following a terrorism designation.

“That might be any part of the state or all over the state. No public assemblies in a designated area will be able to be authorised, including by a court,” he told reporters.

“These are obviously extraordinary powers – not seen before in any jurisdiction in the country.”

Share and Follow