Share and Follow
Recent satellite photographs have revealed new roofs being constructed over buildings damaged at Iranian nuclear sites attacked by the U.S. and Israel last year.
The images, provided by Planet Labs PBC, show fresh coverings over two structures at the Isfahan and Natanz facilities, following the June 2025 attacks.
According to Andrea Stricker, an expert on Iran from the Washington-based Foundation for Defense of Democracies, these roofs are likely part of Iran’s strategy to determine whether essential assets, like limited supplies of highly enriched uranium, survived the strikes.
“They aim to access any recoverable assets without allowing Israel or the United States to see what remains intact,” she mentioned.

The left side of the image shows the debris from the Pilot Fuel Enrichment Plant at Iran’s Natanz nuclear site as of December 3, 2025. On the right, a satellite photo from January 28, 2026, reveals a new roof covering the structure. (Planet Labs PBC via AP)
Those coverings block satellites from seeing what’s happening on the ground — right now the only way for inspectors from the International Atomic Energy Agency to monitor the sites, as Iran has prevented access.Â
The Natanz site, which is about 135 miles south of Iran’s capital of Tehran, is a mix of above- and below-ground laboratories that did the majority of Iran’s uranium enrichment.Â
The facility outside the city of Isfahan was mainly known for producing the uranium gas that is fed into centrifuges to be spun and purified.

Satellite images show Iran’s Isfahan nuclear facility on the left on Dec. 7, 2025, and on the right on Jan. 28, 2026, following the completion of a new roof over one of the damaged buildings. (Planet Labs PBC via AP)
Last year, Israel targeted the sites first, followed by U.S. strikes using bunker-busting bombs and Tomahawk cruise missiles. Â
The Israel Defense Forces said in June 2025 that a strike on the Isfahan site had “dismantled a facility for producing metallic uranium, infrastructure for reconverting enriched uranium, laboratories, and additional infrastructure.”Â
The U.S. strikes “significantly degraded Iran’s nuclear program,” the White House’s National Security Strategy published in November said.

The Natanz nuclear site is seen on the left on May 20, 2025. On June 22, 2025, damage could be seen in the area following American airstrikes. (Planet Labs PBC)
Iran has not allowed IAEA inspectors to visit the sites since the attacks.Â
The new satellite images come as President Donald Trump has repeatedly warned that a “massive Armada” is heading toward the Middle East, ratcheting up pressure on the Iranian regime to reach a nuclear deal. Secretary of War Pete Hegseth said during a Cabinet meeting Thursday that the U.S. military is “prepared to deliver whatever the president expects” regarding Iran. Meanwhile, Iranian military officials have vowed that any U.S. attack would be met with an immediate and decisive response.Â
The Trump administration has also escalated sanctions on Iranian officials in response to the deadly crackdown on anti-regime protesters.