HomeUSVenezuela Frees All American Detainees Following Maduro's Arrest and Government Transition

Venezuela Frees All American Detainees Following Maduro’s Arrest and Government Transition

Share and Follow

On Friday evening, the U.S. Embassy announced the liberation of all identified American citizens previously detained in Venezuela.

“We are delighted to confirm that all recognized U.S. citizens have been freed by the interim authorities in Venezuela,” the embassy stated on X. They encouraged anyone with information about other detained Americans to reach out to the American Citizen Services.

Details regarding the released individuals remain undisclosed. Fox News Digital has contacted the State Department for further information.

Venezuela protests

In response to the U.S. operations and the apprehension of Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro, Venezuelans set fire to an American flag. Meanwhile, the U.S. government confirmed the release of all known Americans held in Venezuela. (Stringer/picture alliance via Getty Images)

Since the U.S. captured former Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and his spouse, there have been gradual releases of American detainees by the interim authorities.

Both are being held in New York City on federal narco-terrorism charges. 

Earlier this month, Venezuela’s interim government reported that 116 prisoners had been released, although only about 70 have been verified by the non-governmental organization Justicia, Encuentro y Perdón, according to Bloomberg.

Maduro at military parade

Venezuela’s President Nicolás Maduro and first lady Cilia Flores parade in a military vehicle during celebrations for Independence Day in Caracas July 5, 2025.  (Juan Barreto/AFP via Getty Images)

Earlier this month, the U.S. government announced a travel alert advising against travel to the country. Americans in the country were advised to depart immediately. 

“The security situation in Venezuela remains fluid. The U.S. Embassy in Bogotá, Colombia, warns U.S. citizens not to travel to Venezuela, reiterating warnings against travel to Venezuela dating to 2019. As international flights have resumed, U.S. citizens in Venezuela should leave the country immediately.”

The country is being run by Venezuela’s acting President Delcy Rodriguez, Maduro’s former lieutenant. 

This week, Rodriguez signed a law overhauling the nation’s oil sector, opening it to privatization and reversing a core policy of the socialist government that has ruled Venezuela for more than two decades.

Donald Trump and Delcy Rodriguez in a split image

The State Department told Fox News a “limited number” of people are working on the ground in Venezuela. (Reuters)

On Jan. 10, President Donald Trump said American energy companies will invest $100 billion to rebuild Venezuela’s “rotting” oil infrastructure and push production to record levels.

Share and Follow