Share and Follow

FBI Director Kash Patel is being kept closely informed about the ongoing investigation into the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie, mother of “Today” show host Savannah Guthrie, according to officials on Thursday. Guthrie, aged 84, was last seen at her residence in Arizona, and the search for her has intensified.
Though Director Patel was already planning a visit to Arizona, where the missing person case is centered, the trip was not initially connected to the investigation, the FBI clarified. “Director Patel is getting direct updates from his team,” the bureau stated, emphasizing that the planned visit to Tucson was arranged weeks ago for unrelated matters. However, they noted that circumstances could change, and no further comments were available at this time.
The investigation is primarily being led by the Pima County Sheriff’s Department, with the FBI standing by to offer comprehensive support. “We will continue to provide any and all support needed in the case,” the FBI reiterated in their statement.
Earlier in the week, Jon Edwards, Assistant Special Agent in Charge, outlined the FBI’s role, saying they are furnishing “analytical and technical support.” This includes analyzing cell phones, gathering cell tower data, conducting interviews, and offering other investigative assistance as required by the sheriff’s department.
Earlier this week, the FBI Assistant Special Agent in Charge Jon Edwards said the agency was providing “analytical and technical support in the following ways: We’re downloading and analyzing cell phones, obtaining cell tower information, conducting interviews, and providing any and all investigative support that the sheriff’s department needs.”
“We want the community to know that the FBI is doing everything in our power to bring Nancy Guthrie home to her family,” Edwards said at a press conference on Tuesday.
President Trump, who said he spoke with Savannah Guthrie on Wednesday, told reporters that he directed federal law enforcement officers to help. Earlier this week, he called the case a “very unusual situation.”
Following reports of alleged ransom notes sent to two news outlets, the NBC host and her two siblings recorded a video message, saying, “We are ready to talk.”
“However, we live in a world where voices and images are easily manipulated,” she added, in the video released on Instagram late Wednesday. “We need to know without a doubt that she is alive and that you have her. We want to hear from you and we are ready to listen. Please reach out to us.”
The Pima County Sheriff’s Department is slated to brief the public later Thursday.
Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.