Alarming Rise in Young Adult Colorectal Cancer: Key Symptoms You Can’t Ignore

(NEXSTAR) – The recent passing of actors Catherine O’Hara, aged 71, and James Van Der Beek, aged 48, has brought colorectal cancer back into...
HomeAUTrump Issues Dire Warning to Iran's Supreme Leader: Why He Should Be...

Trump Issues Dire Warning to Iran’s Supreme Leader: Why He Should Be ‘Very Worried

Share and Follow
US President Donald Trump warned that Iran’s supreme leader should be “very worried,” as both sides prepare for their first formal negotiations since the US bombed Tehran’s nuclear program last year.

Rising tensions between the United States and Iran have intensified in recent weeks due to a severe crackdown by Iranian security forces on widespread anti-government demonstrations. This situation has prompted President Trump to deploy a substantial U.S. military presence to the area, with the possibility of initiating military strikes.

In response, Iran’s military has issued a stern warning, stating that any attack would be met with a swift and forceful retaliation, targeting U.S. forces and assets in the region.

US President Donald Trump says Ayatollah Ali Khamenei should be “very worried”. (AP)

During an interview with NBC News, President Trump remarked, “I would say he (Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s supreme leader) should be very worried. Yeah, he should be,” emphasizing the seriousness of the situation.

Although Trump has previously threatened military action against Iran during the recent protests, he has maintained that his administration’s stance has been supportive of the protesters, albeit without engaging in direct intervention.

High-level discussions are set to occur on Friday in Muscat, the capital of Oman. The talks will feature Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and President Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff, as reported by Iran’s state-affiliated Tasnim News Agency.

Khamenei is Iran’s supreme leader. (AP)

But both sides appear to have different agendas.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio confirmed that the Trump administration wants negotiations to focus not only on Iran’s nuclear program, but also “the range of their ballistic missiles,” “their sponsorship of terrorist organisations across the region,” and “the treatment of their own people.”

Citing Iran’s Foreign Ministry, Tasnim has reported that negotiations will be limited to Iran’s nuclear program and the lifting of sanctions as the country’s “primary demand.”

Araghchi is on his way to Muscat heading a diplomatic delegation, the Foreign Ministry said Thursday.

The talks will be carried out “with authority” and aimed at reaching a “fair, mutually satisfactory and honourable understanding” on the nuclear issue, Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said in a statement.

However, he said, past experiences with the US continue to shape Tehran’s approach to diplomacy.

In this photo released by the Iranian Foreign Ministry, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, left, is welcomed by an unidentified Omani official, centre, upon his arrival at Muscat, Oman. (AP)
White House Special Envoy to the Middle East Steve Witkoff. (AP)

“At all times, we consider ourselves obliged to demand the rights of the Iranian nation,” Baghaei said. He added that Iran also sees itself as responsible for not missing opportunities to use diplomacy to secure national interests and safeguard peace and stability in the region.

At the same time, Iran’s state-run Press TV reported, the country’s “most advanced long-range ballistic missile, the Khorramshahr 4, has been deployed” at an unspecified Revolutionary Guard underground missile site.

It said the missile has a range of more than 1995km and can carry a 1.5-tonne warhead.

Iran and the US held several rounds of indirect nuclear talks in April and May 2025 before a surprise mid-June Israeli strike on Iran led to the cancellation of further talks. That was followed days later by the US strike on Iran, which effectively ended the process.

According to media reports, the US is sending the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force to the Middle East as a deterrent to Iran.
The USS Abraham Lincoln is among the US warships deployed to the Middle East. (EPA/AAP)

“If we didn’t take out that nuclear, we wouldn’t have peace in the Middle East, because the Arab countries could have never done that,” Trump said in the NBC News interview.

“They were very, very afraid of Iran. They’re not afraid of Iran anymore,” he said.

Trump also said he has been informed that Iran is looking to revive its nuclear program at alternative sites.

“They tried to go back to the site. They weren’t even able to get near it,” he said.

“There was total obliteration. But they were thinking about starting a new site in a different part of the country. We found out about it. I said, ‘You do that, we’re going to do bad things to you.’”

As tensions simmer, neighbouring countries have been mediating between the two sides to avert a war, noting that any conflict could spread and destabilise the Middle East.

On Tuesday, a US aircraft carrier shot down an Iranian drone that “aggressively approached” the ship in the Arabian Sea, according to the US military.

Hours later, two gunboats operated by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps approached a US-flagged tanker in the Strait of Hormuz and threatened to board and seize the ship, said Captain Tim Hawkins, a spokesperson for US Central Command.

Trump first threatened possible military action last month as mass anti-government protests swept Iran and a nearly three-week nationwide internet blackout took hold, with Iranians shouting slogans against the ruling theocratic regime.

Internet connectivity has been partially restored, but experts are warning that, even on the other side of the digital blackout, the outlook for Iranian internet access remains bleak.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share and Follow