HomeCeleb LifestyleEx-LA County Worker Faces Charges in Alleged Guthrie Family Fraud Scheme

Ex-LA County Worker Faces Charges in Alleged Guthrie Family Fraud Scheme

Share and Follow

A former Los Angeles County employee is now facing charges for allegedly attempting to defraud Savannah Guthrie’s family amidst their ongoing efforts to locate the missing Today show anchor’s mother.

As reported by Los Angeles Magazine on Thursday, February 5, Derrick Callella, who was previously implicated in an overtime fraud case last October, now faces additional federal charges. These arose after he allegedly contacted the family of 84-year-old missing grandmother Nancy Guthrie.

Callella was among 13 LA County employees accused of fraudulently acquiring $430,000 in unemployment benefits over the span of 2020 to 2023.

“As public servants, it is our duty to maintain the trust of the community,” stated Los Angeles County District Attorney Nathan J. Hochman in an October 2025 press release.

nancy-guthrie-fake-ransom-letter

An arrest has been made related to Nancy Guthrie’s case after authorities received a fraudulent ransom note. Nancy, Savannah Guthrie’s mother, was reported missing on Sunday, February 1, after a friend noticed her absence from a church service that morning. Nancy was last seen […]

He continued: “When a civil servant steals from the government, that trust is broken. The scale of fraud in these cases is shocking, spanning seven different County agencies, including employees whose very job was to help the public determine whether they were eligible for public benefits. Most egregiously, these individuals allegedly claimed to be unemployed during the COVID pandemic when millions of Californians were legitimately in need of unemployment benefits. I thank Los Angeles County Auditor-Controller Oscar Valdez for his partnership and commitment to holding government employees accountable. Today, we are putting all government employees on notice: If you steal from taxpayers, you will be prosecuted.”

According to court documents seen by Us Weekly on Thursday, Callella was allegedly connected to what the FBI described as an “imposter” ransom scam after he contacted Nancy’s family following her disappearance.

Per a criminal complaint obtained by Us, Callella initially sent a text message to Savannah’s sister Annie Guthrie and Annie’s husband Tommaso Cioni.

The text read, “Did you get the bitcoin were [sic] waiting on our end for the transaction.”

GettyImages-2150455647Former-LA-County-Employee-Charged-With-Trying-to-Scam-Guthrie-Family.jpg

Savannah Guthrie.
(Photo by Paul Morigi/Getty Images for Haddad Media)

Callella then allegedly made a phone call to an unidentified family member of Nancy, which lasted nine seconds.

Authorities tracked Callella down on Thursday morning, he admitted to sending the ransom demands. He told the FBI “that he pulled family information from a cyber website, and that he had been following along and watching TV.” He told authorities his text messages were an attempt to “see if the family would respond.”

FBI Phoenix Special Agent in Charge, Heith Janke, addressed the ransom note received by the Guthrie family via a press conference held on Thursday, February 5.

“I think we start to look at what the deadlines were in the note,” Janke shared. “First, I think [it] was 5 p.m. today, and then it had a second deadline after that. So we are continuing in a normal kidnapping case, there would be contact by now trying to discuss that. But those are the time frames we’re looking at as we move forward.”

Annie Guthrie and Husband Tommaso Cioni Got Imposters Ransom Texts

Annie Guthrie and husband Tommaso Cioni were the ones who received imposter Derrick Callella’s ransom text messages after Nancy Guthrie went missing. According to court documents obtained by Us Weekly on Thursday, February 5, Annie and Cioni both received text messages from Callella after the Guthrie family — which includes Annie, Camron and Savannah Guthrie […]

Addressing the “imposter ransom” arrest, Janke added, “We have made one arrest related to an imposter ransom demand, and a complaint will be presented to a magistrate judge later today.”

He continued, “There’s no evidence to connect this to Nancy’s case. It was someone that was trying to profit off it.”

Janke also warned that authorities would come down hard on anyone trying to exploit the Guthries’ situation for profit.

“To those imposters who are trying to take advantage and profit from this situation, we will investigate and ensure you are held accountable for your actions,” he said. “This is an 84-year-old grandma that needs vital medication for her well being. You still have the time to do the right thing before this becomes a worse, much worse scenario for you.”

The Pima County Sheriff’s Department confirmed the news of Nancy’s disappearance on Sunday, February 1, sharing a missing person report via X. Nancy was described as a “vulnerable adult” who was last seen “at her residence” within Arizona’s Catalina Foothills area on the evening of Saturday, January 31. The report noted that it is “unknown what clothing she may be wearing.”

Share and Follow