Thirty-Four Australians Freed from Syrian Camp Housing IS-Linked Families

In a significant development, Syrian Kurdish forces have facilitated the release of 34 Australians from a camp in northern Syria, where families of suspected...
HomeAUUnyielding Stand-off: Protesters and Police Clash Over Controversial Israeli Presidential Plans

Unyielding Stand-off: Protesters and Police Clash Over Controversial Israeli Presidential Plans

Share and Follow


Thousands of protesters are preparing to challenge restrictions by taking to the streets in opposition to the Israeli president’s controversial visit to Australia next week. Law enforcement has cautioned that participants could face arrest.

Demonstrations have been planned in all major cities nationwide in anticipation of Isaac Herzog’s five-day visit, with a large protest scheduled to take place in Sydney on Monday.

However, the proposed protest path, which would stretch from Town Hall to the New South Wales Parliament House, falls within a restricted zone where police have the authority to deny permission for public gatherings.

New South Wales Police have called on the Palestine Action Group to negotiate and relocate their rally to an area where protests are sanctioned.

“Our aim is to avoid a scenario where we find ourselves at Town Hall on Monday night with a large crowd enforcing the restrictions,” acting assistant commissioner Paul Dunstan stated to the media on Friday.

“That may and potentially will result in arrests. That can be easily avoided through consultation and working with us to enable protest activity in the right area at the right time.”

Dunstan suggested protesters march along a lawful route from Hyde Park to Belmont Park that had been used on Sunday.

After the Bondi shooting, laws rushed through NSW parliament gave police powers to prevent NSW residents from seeking authorisation for rallies after a declared terrorist incident.

A lack of authorisation leaves participants vulnerable to arrest for obstructing traffic or pedestrians, or marching through the streets.

‘A little bit more attention’

About 4,000 people are expected to attend Monday’s rally and 500 police will be deployed to monitor the march.

While all visits by heads of state are well policed, Dunstan acknowledged there was “a little bit more attention with this one”.

Israel’s president was controversially invited to Australia by Prime Minister Anthony Albanese after gunmen opened fire on a Hanukkah event at Bondi Beach, killing 15 people on December 14.

He is set to meet with federal politicians as well as those impacted by the terrorist incident.

But protesters and human rights experts have called for his invitation to be rescinded, citing his culpability in Israel’s bombardment and starvation of Palestinians in Gaza.

Herzog has previously said Palestinians bore collective blame for Hamas’ attack on Israel on October 7, 2023.

A United Nations Human Rights Council commission of inquiry in September found the statement might reasonably have been interpreted as inciting genocide.

Herzog has vehemently denied allegations that his remarks amount to incitement, saying they were taken out of context.

Acting Prime Minister Richard Marles maintained the president would be a “welcome and honoured guest” in Australia.

“To have the president of Israel here, the equivalent of our governor-general, is really significant for Australia’s Jewish community in the aftermath of the Bondi massacre,” he told reporters.

“He will be treated with all the dignity and respect that he deserves.”

But some within Labor’s ranks don’t want to roll out the red carpet for the Israeli leader.

NSW Labor backbencher Sarah Kaine has said she will be marching over concerns about the visit, while federal backbencher Ed Husic has said he is “very uncomfortable” about the tour.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow