Simone Biles’ Husband Shares Experience of Escaping Robbery Attempt in Milan

Jonathan Owens, husband to renowned gymnast Simone Biles, recently shared his experience of a thwarted robbery attempt while in Milan for the 2026 Winter...
HomeAUManslaughter Charges Filed in Case of Labor Leader Tim Picton's Tragic Death

Manslaughter Charges Filed in Case of Labor Leader Tim Picton’s Tragic Death

Share and Follow

The individual charged in connection with the tragic death of former Labor strategist Tim Picton now faces a manslaughter charge, as his legal representative signals plans to file for bail.

A lively crowd consisting of around 20 family members and supporters filled the Perth Magistrates Court today as Brodie Jake Dewar made his appearance via video link from Hakea Prison.

The 20-year-old, who appeared slight in stature, is accused of assaulting the 36-year-old Picton outside a Northbridge bar in Perth’s inner city during the early hours of December 27.

A former Labor leader turned mining boss has died after allegedly being assaulted in Perth, his family said.Tim Picton, 36, was allegedly attacked just after Christmas in the city.
Tim Picton, 36, was allegedly attacked just after Christmas in the city. (Supplied)

Picton, celebrated for his exceptional skills in political strategy, succumbed to his injuries in the hospital weeks later after allegedly hitting his head on the pavement during the encounter with Dewar.

His passing has prompted a wave of sorrow, with heartfelt tributes pouring in from family, friends, colleagues, the prime minister, several state premiers, and business leaders.

Picton had advised state and federal politicians, and helped guide WA Labor to a landslide 2021 election victory.

Dewar was originally charged with grievous bodily harm over the incident that was recorded on CCTV, but this has been upgraded to unlawfully killing.

He was not required to enter a plea and only spoke to confirm his identity and that he understood the charge.

Dewar was grim-faced for most of the hearing, during which angry shouts from some of his supporters denied entry to the court could be heard from the corridor outside.

His lawyer, Simon Watters, pushed for the court to hear a bail application.

Brodie Jake Dewar
Brodie Jake Dewar, 20, is accused of the manslaughter of Tim Picton. (9News)

He said Dewar was in custody for a grievous bodily harm charge stemming from an incident on Christmas Day in the Perth suburb of Kalamunda.

He said Dewar had been previously granted bail on that charge, which is yet to be discontinued by prosecutors, and he would seek to have that extended to the manslaughter offence.

Watters said the two matters were separate incidents, as he argued Dewar’s bid for bail should be heard.

He also said Dewar was likely to appeal to the Supreme Court over the December 25 charge, although it was not clear why.

The police prosecutor said he wasn’t prepared for a bail application and didn’t have a copy of the CCTV video of the incident involving Picton to play for the court.

Magistrate Benjamin White noted that a magistrate at the Armadale court, which previously heard Dewar’s December 25 charge, had stated the prosecution had a strong case due to the video footage of the alleged incident and a term of imprisonment was possible.

Watters said the Armadale magistrate had not seen full CCTV video recording of the altercation, which allegedly involved Dewar, a man and a woman.

White could not be swayed and said he would hear Dewar’s bail application next Friday.

Watters said he would make submissions about Picton’s interaction with Dewar’s cousin on December 27, although it was not clear whether they would be oral submissions during the hearing or written.

After White adjourned the matter, several of Dewar’s supporters shouted out: “We love you Brodie”.

He made the sign of a heart with his hands in reply.

Share and Follow