HomeUSIran-US Nuclear Negotiations Show Promise: Talks in Oman Set Positive Tone for...

Iran-US Nuclear Negotiations Show Promise: Talks in Oman Set Positive Tone for Future Discussions

Share and Follow

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has described the recent indirect nuclear discussions with the United States held in Oman as “a promising start” and indicated that there is a mutual agreement to pursue further negotiations.

Araghchi detailed the talks, emphasizing that after a prolonged period without communication, both sides were able to share their perspectives and express their concerns. He underscored the importance of Iran’s interests and the rights of its citizens being clearly articulated in a constructive environment, while also acknowledging that they listened to the views of the U.S. representatives.

“This initial step was positive, yet its continuation hinges on further consultations within our respective capitals to determine the path forward,” he commented.

Abbas Araghchi and Badr al-Busaidi shake hands

The meeting took place in Muscat, Oman, where Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi engaged with Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi on February 6, 2026. This event was documented by the Iranian Foreign Ministry and shared through the West Asia News Agency, as reported by Reuters.

Oman’s Foreign Ministry announced on X that Badr al-Busaidi conducted talks with both Iranian and American officials. He met separately with Araghchi, as well as U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner, to facilitate the dialogue process.

“The consultations focused on preparing the appropriate conditions for resuming diplomatic and technical negotiations, while emphasizing their importance, in light of the parties’ determination to ensure their success in achieving sustainable security and stability,” the Foreign Ministry of Oman said.

Oman reportedly put out a public statement acknowledging the talks after journalists with The Associated Press saw Iranian and American officials separately visit the palace, the outlet reported. The AP said it was not immediately clear if talks were done for the day, but noted that the palace was empty after the convoys left.

The Iranian representatives reportedly met with al-Busaidi first, and only after their convoy left the palace did another set of vehicles arrive, one of which had an American flag, according to the AP. The outlet said the SUV flying the American flag stayed at the palace for an hour and a half.

Witkoff, Kushner in Oman for Iran talks

Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr Hamad Al Busaidi, U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff and U.S. negotiator Jared Kushner meet ahead of the U.S.-Iran talks, in Muscat, the capital of Oman, on Feb. 6, 2026. (Oman Foreign Ministry/Anadolu via Getty Images)

The talks were initially set to take place in Turkey, but were later moved, according to Secretary of State Marco Rubio, who confirmed the change in venue on Wednesday.

“We thought we had an established forum that had been agreed to in Turkey. It was put together by a number of partners who wanted to attend and be a part of it,” Rubio said when taking questions from reporters on Wednesday.

“I saw conflicting reports yesterday from the Iranian side saying that they had not agreed to that. So, that’s still being worked through. At the end of the day, the United States is prepared to engage in, has always been prepared to engage with Iran.”

Iranian officials also reportedly tried to limit the talks to a bilateral U.S.-Iran format, excluding other Arab and regional countries, according to Axios.

Iran protests and Khamenei

Supreme Leader Khamenei announces new Revolutionary Guard appointment while central bank chief resigns amid protests. (Fars News Agency via AP/Office of the Iranian Supreme Leader/WANA/ Reuters )

Tensions between Iran and the U.S. have been high since Washington bombed Tehran’s nuclear facilities in the summer of 2025. Things escalated further as the U.S. condemned Iran’s treatment of anti-regime protesters, with President Donald Trump threatening to act if government actors used violence against demonstrators.

Trump recently said in an interview with NBC News that Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei “should be very worried,” though the president acknowledged that the two countries were “negotiating.”

split of Trump and Khamenei

A former Iranian political prisoner said Trump is “the only U.S. President who is not afraid of [the Iranian] regime.” (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images; Yuri Gripas/Abaca/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

When pressed about why he has not followed through on threats to take action if the regime used violence against protesters, Trump said that the U.S. “had their back” and that the “country’s a mess right now because of us,” referring to the strikes on Iran’s nuclear facilities. Trump also told NBC News that the U.S. had learned that Iran was attempting to build a new nuclear site in a different part of the country.

The president said that he issued a threat that if Iran were to build a new nuclear facility, the U.S. would “do very bad things.”

It is not immediately clear whether there will be more discussions over the course of the weekend or if there are any plans for direct discussions between Iranian and American officials.

The State Department did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

Share and Follow