Share and Follow
Donald Trump’s aspirations to rename New York’s Penn Station and Washington-Dulles International Airport in his honor faced a significant setback on Friday due to a court ruling.
A federal judge ordered the Trump administration to release funds for the New York/New Jersey Gateway Tunnel Project, which had allegedly been withheld as leverage to rename these landmarks after Trump.
Judge Jeannette Vargas ruled in favor of a lawsuit by the attorneys general of New York and New Jersey. The suit claimed that Trump was unlawfully withholding the funds, resulting in economic damage to the metropolitan area.
The issue arose during negotiations between Trump and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer. According to Politico, the White House had proposed unblocking the project funds if the transportation hubs were renamed in Trump’s honor.
A source familiar with Schumer’s viewpoint told Politico, “There was no deal to make. The president halted the funding and could resume it instantly if he chose.”
Vargas ruled that the attorneys general had ‘adequately shown that the public interest would be harmed by a delay in a critical infrastructure project.’Â
The judge barred the federal government from suspending funding to the project until the case is concluded.Â
The Gateway project would construct new rail bridges under the Hudson River from New Jersey to Manhattan, and the freezing of the $16 billion in funding by the Trump administration put more than 1,000 jobs on hold.Â
Donald Trump’s hopes of renaming New York’s Penn Station and Washington-Dulles International Airport after himself were dealt a major blow in court on Friday as he was ordered to unfreeze funding used as a bargaining chip in negotiationsÂ
The Trump administration was ordered by a federal judge to unfreeze $16 billion in funds for the New York/ New Jersey Gateway Tunnel Project (pictured), which will would construct new rail bridges under the Hudson River from New Jersey to ManhattanÂ
Friday’s ruling was celebrated by New York Governor Kathy Hochul, who said that is marked ‘a victory for the thousands of union workers who will build Gateway and the hundreds of thousands of riders who rely on it every day.’Â
‘We will work to protect this decision and move as soon as possible to get work back on track,’ Hochul said in a statement.Â
Hochul’s office has used the controversy to mock Trump on social media, and in an X post she shared an image of Trump Tower in Manhattan renamed ‘Hochul Tower’, with the caption: ‘Counteroffer.’
Source close to Schumer previously said he was stunned by the White House’s offer to unfreeze the funds in exchange for renaming the landmarks, telling Politico: ‘There was nothing to trade.’Â
‘The president stopped the funding and he can restart the funding with a snap of his fingers,’ the insider said Thursday.Â
New York Senator Kristen Gillibrand criticized the notion that the funding would be on the table, saying this week: ‘These naming rights aren’t tradable as part of any negotiations, and neither is the dignity of New Yorkers.’Â
‘At a time when New Yorkers are already being crushed by high costs under the Trump tariffs, the president continues to put his own narcissism over the good-paying union jobs this project provides and the extraordinary economic impact the Gateway tunnel will bring,’ Gillibrand said.Â
The White House reportedly offered to unfreeze the funds in exchange for Penn Station in New York City (pictured) and Washington-Dulles International Airport to be renamed after the presidentÂ
New York Federal Judge Jeannette Vargas ordered the unfreezing of the funds as she said the New York and New Jersey lawsuit had ‘adequately shown that the public interest would be harmed by a delay in a critical infrastructure project’
Although Friday’s ruling set back Trump’s threats to cease the funding, the commission managing the Gateway project said in court that even winding down its operations briefly caused significant setbacks.Â
The Gothamist reported that the commission was forced to halt work at five construction sites, and it would take almost a year of work and up to $20 million-a-month to secure and monitor the sites.Â
New York Attorney General Letitia James thanked the court for halting the funding freeze.Â
‘This is a critical victory for workers and commuters in New York and New Jersey. I am grateful the court acted quickly to block this senseless funding freeze, which threatened to derail a project our entire region depends on,’ James said. Â