HomeUSIran Threatens Retaliation Against US Bases Amid Rising Tensions: Report

Iran Threatens Retaliation Against US Bases Amid Rising Tensions: Report

Share and Follow

In a stark warning, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi announced on Saturday that Iran would retaliate against U.S. military bases in the region should American forces initiate an attack. This statement, reported by Reuters, underscores the heightened tensions between the two nations.

Araghchi’s comments came shortly after he acknowledged that indirect nuclear discussions with the United States in Oman had shown promise. On Friday, he described these talks as “a good start” and noted a “consensus” to maintain the dialogue, indicating a potential thaw in diplomatic relations.

In his address to Al Jazeera, Araghchi emphasized, “While attacking American soil directly may not be feasible, our response will focus on U.S. bases within the region if provoked.” He further clarified that Iran’s actions would be directed specifically at U.S. military installations, not the countries hosting them, differentiating between regional targets and neighboring nations.

In context, the situation is tense, with recent military movements in the area. A recent photograph provided by the U.S. Navy shows Aviation Boatswain’s Mate 2nd Class Michael Cordova directing an F/A-18F Super Hornet on the flight deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln, a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier currently stationed in the Middle East. This vessel recently engaged with and shot down an Iranian drone, highlighting the ongoing military posturing in the region. (Photo credit: Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Daniel Kimmelman/U.S. Navy via AP)

Plane on flight deck of USS Abraham Lincoln

This handout photograph from the U.S. Navy shows Aviation Boatswain’s Mate 2nd Class Michael Cordova directing an F/A-18F Super Hornet on the flight deck of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln in the Indian Ocean on Jan. 23, 2026. The aircraft carrier is currently in the Middle East, and it shot down an Iranian drone earlier this week. (Mass Communication Specialist Seaman Daniel Kimmelman/U.S. Navy via AP)

The U.S. last June attacked nuclear facilities in Iran, in what has come to be known as Operation Midnight Hammer. 

In response, Iran launched a retaliatory attack on Al-Udeid, the American airbase in Qatar, which President Donald Trump characterized at the time as a “very weak response.” 

“Iran has officially responded to our Obliteration of their Nuclear Facilities with a very weak response, which we expected, and have very effectively countered. There have been 14 missiles fired — 13 were knocked down, and 1 was ‘set free,’ because it was headed in a nonthreatening direction,” the president wrote on Truth Social. 

President Donald Trump raises his fist while visiting U.S. troops in Qatar

President Donald Trump gestures while delivering remarks to U.S. troops during a visit to Al Udeid Air Base in Doha, Qatar, on May 15, 2025.  (Brian Snyder/Reuters)

Regarding Friday’s nuclear talks, Araghchi said, “It was a good start, but its continuation depends on consultations in our respective capitals and deciding on how to proceed.” 

Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi met with both Iranian and American officials on Friday, the Foreign Ministry of Oman said on X. The ministry said that al-Busaidi held separate meetings with Araghchi and U.S. special envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner. 

Iranian Foreign Minister Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi

Iranian foreign minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi speaks in the northern city of Rasht, Iran, on Nov. 18, 2025. (Shadati/Xinhua via Getty Images)

“The consultations focused on preparing the appropriate conditions for resuming diplomatic and technical negotiations, while emphasizing their importance, in light of the parties’ determination to ensure their success in achieving sustainable security and stability,” the Foreign Ministry of Oman said. 

Share and Follow