Share and Follow

Protesters are preparing to take legal action in defense of their right to express opposition to the Australian visit of Israel’s president, a trip described by a high-ranking federal minister as “contentious”.
Isaac Herzog is set to commence his tour in Australia on Monday, where he plans to engage with politicians, Jewish leaders, and the families affected by the Bondi massacre.
Demonstrations have been organized across major cities in the country, with Sydney’s law enforcement pledging to take a tough stance on any unauthorized protest activities. The police’s firm approach has set the stage for potential confrontations.
In response, the protest group known as the Palestine Action Group has indicated that they will urgently appeal to the NSW Supreme Court. This decision follows Premier Chris Minns’ designation of Herzog’s visit as a major event, a move that extends additional powers to police, allowing them to control movement within the city center.
Josh Lees, a spokesperson for the group, announced on Sunday, “We are taking Chris Minns to court again … he has imposed sweeping search, exclusion, and conduct restrictions across our city in an attempt to shut down dissent.” Their legal challenge highlights the ongoing tension surrounding the visit and the broader debate over the right to protest.
“Instead of defending human rights, the NSW government is using emergency-style powers to shield a visiting head of state from public scrutiny and accountability.”
The group will file its challenge on Monday morning and request an urgent hearing, arguing the powers are excessive, unjustified and unlawful.
Police have been negotiating with the protesters, asking them to alter their route outside a restricted zone through the heart of Sydney.
The protesters have denied that request and insist they will gather at Sydney Town Hall before marching to NSW Parliament.
Police were worried about the chance of conflict between officers and protesters, although organisers had gone to “great efforts” to highlight their desire for a peaceful event, acting Assistant Commissioner Paul Dunstan said.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese invited Herzog to visit in the wake of December’s antisemitic terror attack, during which 15 innocent people were killed.
Treasurer Jim Chalmers accepted the Israeli president’s presence in Australia was controversial but called for calm among furious protesters.
Along with human rights campaigners and the Greens, they have called for his invitation to be rescinded due to his alleged culpability in Israel’s bombardment and the starvation of Palestinians in Gaza.
“This visit is contentious and it will invite a range of views, and some of those views will be strongly held,” Chalmers told ABC’s Insiders on Sunday.
Herzog won’t address parliament
Herzog, who holds a largely ceremonial role as his nation’s head of state, would not address parliament during the visit, the government confirmed.
But opposition frontbencher Tim Wilson said the president should be invited to make an address, accusing the government of “hiding” the visit despite Albanese’s plan to accompany Herzog for parts of the trip.
Herzog has also defended the tour from criticism, saying his visit is important to the Australian Jewish community reeling from the attack.
He previously suggested Palestinians bore collective blame for the Hamas-led attack on Israel on 7 October 2023, before later clarifying his remarks.
A United Nations Human Rights Council commission of inquiry in September found the statement might reasonably have been interpreted as inciting genocide.
Herzog has vehemently denied allegations that his remarks amount to incitement, saying they were taken out of context.
A number of legal experts have argued Australian authorities have an obligation to investigate the alleged war crimes when he arrives in the nation, based on international law.
Federal police have confirmed that Herzog will be protected from arrest and other legal proceedings under head of state immunity provisions during his visit.
The NSW government’s special event, public-safety arrangements will bolster the number of police deployed during Herzog’s visit, while anyone who fails to comply with directions will face penalties that include fines of up to $5,500.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.