Share and Follow
On Monday, officials introduced the initial phase of “Hailey’s Law,” inspired by the tragic passing of 17-year-old Hailey Buzbee from Indiana.
Indiana House Speaker Todd Huston revealed a new amendment at the Indiana State House, as reported by NBC 13. This adjustment aims to enhance the effectiveness of alerts for missing children. It encompasses provisions for Pink Alerts and addresses issues related to “enticement” and “human trafficking.” More details are available on the original report.
Hailey, who attended Hamilton Southeastern High School, vanished in Fishers on January 5, as previously highlighted by CrimeOnline.
Subsequently, Sam Shamansky, the attorney for suspect Tyler Thomas, disclosed that the FBI discovered Hailey’s remains in Wayne National Forest located in Perry County, Ohio.
Authorities noted that Hailey, who had reportedly left home to meet 39-year-old Thomas, did not meet the criteria for an AMBER Alert, as she was initially classified as a runaway.
She also did not qualify for a Silver Alert.
Hailey’s family subsequently pushed for “Hailey’s Law” and the “Pink Alert,” which addresses grooming and online predator situations, particularly online grooming in Indiana schools.
“This is a different world, and one that we’re all adapting to,” House Speaker Todd Huston said Monday, according to the Indy Star. “I think we’re in a world where this is always going to be looked at every session.”
The new language, which is currently under argument, would require social media businesses to use “commercially reasonable means” for age verification. It also would require parental permission for children under 16 to create an account.
Should a child create an account, the social media companies would be responsible for not allowing the minor to appear in search results. The companies would also be responsible for ensuring that the child does not receive direct messages from people they do not follow, and would be prohibited from allowing targeted advertising.
Parents would also have access to the account and be allowed to monitor activity.
“I beg of you, please do not let this opportunity slip away,” Hailey’s father, Beau, said. “The decisions that you are considering today have the power to save children’s lives.”
Meanwhile, Columbus Police Department’s Homicide Unit search warrant indicated that investigators found evidence that Buzbee had been with Thomas. He later claimed that they had been communicating for more than a year on the Session messaging app.
Investigators found sexually explicit images of the teen on Thomas’ phone, prompting his arrest for pandering sexually oriented matter involving a minor. He’s also charged with tampering with evidence.
Hailey’s cause and manner of death have not been determined, The Columbus Dispatch reports.
So far, no additional charges have been filed.
Thomas’ attorney, Sam Shamansky, said he expects murder charges to be filed, although Thomas denied involvement in Hailey Buzbee’s death.
Check back for updates.
[Feature Photo: Hailey Buzbee/Handout]