Tragic Loss: Man Grieves Wife After Car Chase, Having Previously Lost Two Children

The heartache is still fresh for Phillip Crosland, whose world was shattered after losing his beloved wife and lifelong companion, Maureen Crosland, in a...
HomeAUPalace Confirms King Charles' Willingness to Assist Police in Investigation Involving Prince...

Palace Confirms King Charles’ Willingness to Assist Police in Investigation Involving Prince Andrew

Share and Follow

**Content Warning:** This article contains mentions of sexual abuse and suicide.

Buckingham Palace has expressed its willingness to assist with any potential police investigation involving King Charles’ younger brother, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor. This comes after emails surfaced that allege he may have provided confidential British trade documents to the late Jeffrey Epstein.

Mountbatten-Windsor, who had already been distanced from the royal family due to his association with Epstein, is under renewed scrutiny. This attention follows the disclosure of millions of documents related to Epstein, a convicted US sex offender.

A palace spokesperson stated, “The king has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.”

The recently released files in the United States indicate that in 2010, Mountbatten-Windsor might have shared British trade documents with Epstein. This occurred after Epstein’s conviction for child sex crimes, potentially compromising his position as an official government envoy.

The documents appear to show that Andrew forwarded Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore and other places, which he had been sent in relation to an official trip. Trade envoys are usually barred from sharing sensitive or commercial documents.

The 65-year-old second son of the late Queen Elizabeth II has always denied any wrongdoing and has not responded to requests for comment since the latest release of Epstein files.

In 2022, Mountbatten-Windsor settled a lawsuit brought by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of sexually abusing her when she was a teenager, through her association with Epstein. Giuffre died by suicide last April.

Earlier this month, a second woman alleged Epstein sent her to the UK to have sex with the former prince. It came after an image in a fresh trove of Epstein files showed him crouching over an unidentified woman lying on the floor.

Thames Valley Police said the issue had been reported to them and that they were assessing whether to formally investigate.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, wearing a black suit, white shirt and black tie outside
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his ‘prince’ title and was forced to move out of his royal mansion over his ties with Jeffrey Epstein. Source: AAP / PA / Jordan Pettitt

The palace added: “While the specific claims in question are for Mr Mountbatten-Windsor to address, if we are approached by Thames Valley Police, we stand ready to support them as you would expect.”

“As was previously stated, their majesties’ thoughts and sympathies have been, and remain with, the victims of any and all forms of abuse.”

The king’s son Prince William and his wife Kate said on Monday they were deeply concerned by the continuing Epstein revelations, in another pointed message from the royal family.

“Their thoughts remain focused on the victims,” their spokesperson told reporters ahead of the prince’s arrival on a high-profile trip to Saudi Arabia.

New allegations against Andrew

Mountbatten-Windsor was forced to quit all official royal duties in 2019 over his ties with Epstein and, in October, King Charles removed his title of prince. Last week, he was forced to move out of his royal mansion.

While the royal family has sought to distance itself from Mountbatten-Windsor, he remains a thorn in their side.

“Charles, how long have you known about Andrew and Epstein?” a man shouted from the crowd as the king arrived in Clitheroe, northern England, the second time he had been heckled in a week.

Last week, police also said they were reviewing a new allegation against Andrew, triggered by the latest files, involving a woman being taken to an address in Windsor near London, where he has lived on the royal estate.

Over the past 10 days, revelations from the files have also engulfed UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer in what is widely viewed as the biggest crisis of his premiership for having appointed Peter Mandelson, an acquaintance of Epstein, as ambassador to the US.

Like Andrew, it appears that Mandelson also shared sensitive government files from 2009 and 2010 with Epstein, and police are investigating claims of misconduct in public office.

If you or someone you know is impacted by sexual assault, call 1800RESPECT on 1800 737 732, text 0458 737 732, or visit 1800RESPECT.org.au. In an emergency, call 000.

Readers seeking crisis support can ring Lifeline on 13 11 14 or text 0477 13 11 14, the Suicide Call Back Service on 1300 659 467 and Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800 (for young people aged up to 25). More information and support with mental health is available at beyondblue.org.au and on 1300 22 4636.

Embrace Multicultural Mental Health supports people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow