Drama Erupts on Love Island: Lucinda’s Explosive Exit After Heated Jessy Showdown!

The tempest within the villa shows no signs of subsiding as Lucinda Strafford's dramatic exit on Friday intensified her ongoing conflict with Jessy Potts....
HomeAURebel Wilson Set to Testify in High-Profile Film Dispute

Rebel Wilson Set to Testify in High-Profile Film Dispute

Share and Follow

Rebel Wilson, renowned Hollywood actress, finds herself embroiled in legal trouble after unexpectedly dismissing her initial legal team, leaving her new attorneys scrambling amid a heated film industry dispute.

The 45-year-old and her firm Camp Sugar are being sued by the production company behind The Deb, a musical comedy filmed in rural NSW that Wilson produced and directed, while also starring.

Wilson is set to testify in September to address allegations that she breached her contract with AI Film Production and made misleading and damaging statements.

Hollywood A-lister Rebel Wilson has been slammed in court after sacking her original lawyers and leaving her new legal team in the lurch during a high-profile film feud.
Hollywood A-lister Rebel Wilson has been slammed in court after sacking her original lawyers and leaving her new legal team in the lurch during a high-profile film feud. (Getty)

During today’s proceedings at the NSW Supreme Court, the production company’s lawyer criticized the Pitch Perfect star for failing to adhere to the case’s schedule.

Sue Chrysanthou SC, representing the production company, also expressed disapproval of Wilson’s decision to switch lawyers just days before a scheduled directions hearing.

“There has been no explanation… regarding the timing of that decision and why it couldn’t have been postponed until today,” Chrysanthou remarked.

“(There is no explanation) why when she terminated her lawyers, on Tuesday she didn’t have other lawyers ready to go.”

Wilson’s new barrister was forced to plead ignorance over much of the details of the case, including the arguments the actor plans to use in her defence.

“A question of good faith may be inferred from the context of the dealings between the parties,” Dauid Sibtain SC said.

Sue Chrysanthou SC criticised Wilson for firing her old lawyers days before the directions hearing.
Sue Chrysanthou SC criticised Wilson for firing her old lawyers days before the directions hearing. (Kate Geraghty)

“I don’t know what we say that context was.”

He conceded it was unacceptable that Wilson had failed to comply with orders to produce evidence.

The Deb premiered at Toronto International Film Festival in September 2024 but has been blocked from wider distribution by the ongoing legal action.

Wilson has been paid over $1 million for her roles as actor, director and producer in the still-unreleased film.

AI is seeking damages for lost revenue, but Chrysanthou said calculating lost income would be impossible until box office takings from its eventual release could be assessed.

A proposed release date of April had been flagged for the film, she said.

The 45-year-old and her firm Camp Sugar are being sued by the production company behind The Deb.
The 45-year-old and her firm Camp Sugar are being sued by the production company behind The Deb. (Invision/AP/AAP)

Wilson and the production company are set to face off during a two-week hearing, scheduled to begin on September 14.

Four witnesses – including Wilson – will be called to provide the bulk of the evidence, the court was told.

Producers Amanda Ghost and Vince Holden are also expected to testify along with star of the film, Charlotte MacInnes.

While one dispute heads towards a climax, the troubled film and its cast and crew remain embroiled in other lawsuits spanning different continents.

Wilson is also facing a defamation suit brought by MacInnes in the Federal Court over social media posts that claimed the younger actor revealed she was subjected to sexual harassment.

MacInnes’ denials that any sexual misconduct took place have not deterred Wilson, who stands by the claims.

In California, Ghost and Holden have sued Wilson for defamation over allegations including embezzlement, sexual harassment of MacInnes and obstruction of the film’s release.

Wilson has attempted to counter-sue, but a judge in January indicated he would likely strike all of her claims from her complaint.

Support is available by calling 1800 RESPECT on 1800 737 732 or the National Sexual Abuse and Redress Support Service on 1800 211 028.

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share and Follow