Anzac Day 2023: Which Australian States Are Skipping the Public Holiday and Why

Victorians will join other states and territories missing out on an Anzac Day public holiday this year after the government decided not to add...
HomeAUDFAT Acknowledges Communication Failures with Families of Laos Methanol Poisoning Victims

DFAT Acknowledges Communication Failures with Families of Laos Methanol Poisoning Victims

Share and Follow

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) has issued an apology to the families of two young Australians, Holly Morton-Bowles and Bianca Jones, who tragically died from methanol poisoning while backpacking in Laos. This apology comes in the wake of concerns that the families were not informed about a court case linked to the deaths of their loved ones.

Holly and Bianca, both 19, embarked on their adventure from Melbourne, exploring Laos in late 2024. However, their journey turned tragic when they were poisoned by methanol during a night out at the Nana Backpackers Hostel in Vang Vieng.

The mass poisoning event in November 2024 resulted in the deaths of at least six foreign tourists. Among the victims were British woman Simone White, an American tourist, and two young women from Denmark, highlighting the widespread impact of this devastating incident.

Shaun Bowles, Holly’s father, voiced his frustration over the lack of communication from the Australian government regarding the progress of the investigation conducted by Laotian authorities into his daughter’s death. This lack of information left the families of the victims feeling isolated during an already difficult time.

Holly’s father Shaun Bowles said there had been a lack of information from the Australian government about the investigation by Laotian authorities into his daughter’s death.

The Nana Backpackers Hostel in Vang Vieng where suspected methanol poisoning took place (Getty)
The Nana Backpackers Hostel in Vang Vieng where the methanol poisonings took place. Source: Getty / STR

Bowles and Bianca’s father Mark Jones said they were relying on a group chat with White’s family for updates from the UK government due to a lack of communication from Australian authorities.

The families then learned that 10 people connected to the hostel faced court in January and were fined $185 for destroying evidence.

Those involved were also given suspended sentences, according to the group chat.

Despite the Laotian court’s minor sentence for the related case, no charges have been pressed over the Australian backpacking pair’s deaths.

“We feel that there hasn’t been enough pressure put on the Laos government,” Bowles told 3AW on Tuesday.

“We can’t get into the country, we’re out of options — we need the government to help us.”

Bowles suggested young travellers should forget about Laos and focus on other nations.

“Don’t go,” he said.

“We’ve seen first-hand. They have no appreciation of life and they’ve shown that by sweeping this under the carpet.”

While the families initially believed the court case was linked to the deaths of their daughters, the DFAT confirmed the destruction of evidence charges only related to the American tourist’s death.

The department has since issued an apology to the families for failing to keep them informed about the court outcome, admitting they “fell short of our aspiration”.

‘Australia expects full accountability’, PM says

In Parliament on Tuesday, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said it was appropriate that DFAT apologised for the communication failure.

“The foreign minister has made it clear to her counterpart in Laos that Australia expects full accountability, and the charges should reflect the devastating seriousness of this incident,” he said.

“We will continue to engage Laos authorities on those cases and we will do everything we can to support Holly and Bianca’s families at this distressing time.”

Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan, who has previously met the vicitims’ families, said processes were adding to their grief.

“You can’t even really call it a punishment, can you? It’s just heartbreaking,” she told reporters on Tuesday.

In a joint statement, Opposition leader Sussan Ley and foreign affairs spokeswoman Michaelia Cash called for the Laotian ambassador to provide “a formal explanation”.

“The Albanese government must also explain the clear failures of consular support and diplomacy in this instance, and why the families of Holly and Bianca were not kept properly informed of these developments,” they said.

The Laotian government previously vowed to “bring the perpetrators to justice in accordance with the law”.

The Laos embassy was contacted for comment.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow