Share and Follow

The Australian government has expressed its opposition to the Israeli security cabinet’s recent decision to extend Israel’s influence over the occupied West Bank.
This week, international criticism has intensified over Israel’s intentions to increase its control over the West Bank, prompting the United Nations Secretary-General to voice his “grave concern.”
Saudi Arabia, along with seven other predominantly Muslim nations, have denounced the new Israeli actions, which are set to facilitate the expansion of settlements in Palestinian territories deemed illegal by international law.
The measures, announced on Sunday by Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and Defense Minister Israel Katz following security cabinet approval, include provisions for Jewish Israelis to purchase land in the West Bank directly and for Israel to exert more control over areas currently governed by the Palestinian Authority.
Although the timeline for implementing these new regulations remains unclear, they are set to take effect without needing further authorization.
A Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade spokesperson said the decision would “undermine stability and security” in the region.
“The Australian government has been clear that settlements are illegal under international law and a significant obstacle to peace,” the spokesperson said in a statement to SBS News.
“Altering the demographic composition of Palestine is unacceptable. A two-state solution remains the only viable path to long-term peace and security for Israelis and Palestinians alike.”
UN secretary-general António Guterres was “gravely concerned” at the changes, and warned they were “eroding the prospects for the two-state solution”, his spokesman Stéphane Dujarric said in a statement this week.
The West Bank, which Israel has occupied since 1967, would form the largest part of any future Palestinian state but is seen by many on the religious right as Israeli land.
Smotrich had said on Sunday that the changes were aimed at “deepening our roots in all regions of the Land of Israel and burying the idea of a Palestinian state”.
Guterres called Israel’s actions “destabilising” and pointed to an International Court of Justice finding that Israel’s occupation of the Palestinian territory is illegal.
The foreign ministers of Saudi Arabia, Jordan, the UAE, Qatar, Indonesia, Pakistan, Egypt and Türkiye “condemned in the strongest terms the illegal Israeli decisions and measures aimed at imposing unlawful Israeli sovereignty,” a Saudi statement said.
It called them an attempt at “entrenching settlement activity, and enforcing a new legal and administrative reality in the occupied West Bank, thereby accelerating attempts at its illegal annexation and the displacement of the Palestinian people”.
Australian government grilled on sanctions
During Question Time in parliament on Monday, independent MP Sophie Scamps asked the government if it would impose sanctions on Israeli officials in light of the plans for settlement expansion in the West Bank.
Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles responded, saying: “The government has in place sanctions in respect of Israel which have been announced and well publicised.”
“But underpinning that has fundamentally been a position which has been held by this government, which is consistent with governments of the past, from both political parties, of supporting a two-state solution.”
He said a two-state solution provides for the “legitimate aspirations of the Palestinian people to have statehood”, while also ensuring security for Israel.
Last year, Australia was among a group of countries that sanctioned Smotrich and another Israeli minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, accusing them of “inciting violence against Palestinians in the West Bank”.
Australia was also among 21 countries that condemned a controversial West Bank settlement expansion plan announced by Smotrich last year.
The Israeli measures also envisage transferring authority over building permits for settlements in the Palestinian city of Hebron — the West Bank’s largest — from the Palestinian Authority to Israel.
In addition, the reform strengthens Israeli control over two major religious sites in the southern West Bank: Rachel’s Tomb near Bethlehem and the Cave of the Patriarchs in Hebron.
In addition to the diplomatic criticism, the announcement drew condemnation from Palestinians and experts.
The Palestinian presidency in Ramallah, which exercises limited control over some areas of the West Bank, said the move was aimed at “deepening attempts to annex the occupied West Bank”.
“What they want is to drive Palestinians into small pieces of land, basically, their major cities, enclaves, and the rest is gone,” Palestinian political scientist and former minister Ali Jarbawi said.
Israel’s plan could weaken Palestinian Authority
Yonatan Mizrachi of Peace Now, an Israeli anti-settlement watchdog, said the steps would further weaken the Palestinian Authority, which was established under the Oslo Accords of the 1990s as an interim governing body pending the creation of a fully fledged Palestinian state.
“Israel is actually advancing annexation and that’s something that we’ve seen for three years, but what is also significant in this case is that Israel has also decided to weaken the Palestinian Authority,” Mizrachi said.
The announcement came days ahead of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s visit to the United States, where he is due to meet US President Donald Trump, who has upheld US opposition to Israeli annexation of the West Bank.
The US has yet to formally comment on the new measures.
More than 500,000 Israelis live in settlements and outposts in the West Bank that are illegal under international law.
Around three million Palestinians live in the territory. Another 200,000 Israelis live in Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem, which the UN says is part of the Palestinian territories.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.