Unraveling the Guthrie Mystery: Why the Burglary Theory Leaves Experts Skeptical

TUCSON, ARIZONA – Recent claims suggesting that Nancy Guthrie's disappearance is linked to a botched burglary have been challenged by a law enforcement insider....
HomeUSOhio Shocker: Man Charged in Grisly Teen Dismemberment Case - Federal Investigation...

Ohio Shocker: Man Charged in Grisly Teen Dismemberment Case – Federal Investigation Unfolds

Share and Follow

A 39-year-old man from Columbus, previously detained for his involvement in the death of a missing teenager, is now facing federal charges related to the sexual exploitation of a minor and traveling across state lines for illegal sexual activities, officials revealed on Tuesday.

Tyler Thomas was arrested in January concerning the case of 17-year-old Hailey Buzbee, whose dismembered remains were discovered in Wayne National Forest.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Ohio, Thomas and Buzbee reportedly became acquainted through online video games.

The federal complaint accuses Thomas of making an overnight trip from Columbus to Indiana between January 5 and January 6 to pick up Buzbee, then returning to Ohio with intentions to engage in unlawful sexual conduct, including the creation of child pornography.

Profile photo of Hailey Buzbee in a neighborhood.

Hailey Buzbee, 17, is believed to have been murdered by Tyler Thomas. (Facebook/Beau Buzbee)

If convicted on the current charges, he faces up to 30 years in prison on each count.

“The FBI and our partners will continue to aggressively pursue all evidence in this case as we seek the facts about Hailey’s disappearance and death,” said FBI Cincinnati Special Agent in Charge Jason Cromartie in a statement. “While we are deeply saddened that we cannot bring Hailey home, we are committed to holding accountable anyone involved in the crimes against her.”

Federal prosecutors said a forensic review of Thomas’ cell phone identified deleted communications between Thomas and Buzbee, including messages on Snapchat and sexually explicit images of the teen in his Columbus residence and at an Airbnb rental in Logan, Ohio.

Mugshot photo of Tyler Thomas.

Tyler Thomas is charged after a missing Indiana teen’s body was discovered in Ohio. (Franklin County Sheriff’s Office)

His cellphone also allegedly contained child sexual abuse material involving a girl believed to be between 7 and 10 years old, along with other sexual messages exchanged with another teenager on Discord.

Thomas appeared in federal court Tuesday afternoon where the case was unsealed.

Local charges previously filed against him are expected to be dismissed as the case proceeds.

An obituary for Buzbee described the teenager as someone who loved music and books and cherished time spent with her family.

Hailey Buzbee at a lake with a fish at the end of the fishing rod.

Buzbee allegedly met Thomas while playing video games online. (Facebook/ Beau Buzbee)

“The changes we make together will be rooted in the love Hailey brought into the world during her time with us,” her dad said.

She is survived by her father, Beau Buzbee; her stepmother, Ronya Buzbee; her sister, Sabriya Buzbee; her mother, Lindsay Simmons; her brother, Elijah Ratcliff; and extended family members.

Share and Follow