HomeAUAustralia Dispatches Special Envoy to Address Methanol Poisoning Tragedy in Laos, Announces...

Australia Dispatches Special Envoy to Address Methanol Poisoning Tragedy in Laos, Announces Wong

Share and Follow


Australia has dispatched a special envoy to Laos to investigate the methanol poisoning deaths of two teenagers, responding to concerns over a lack of transparency from local authorities.

Veteran diplomat Pablo Kang has been tasked with pursuing all possible avenues to advance the investigation into the 2024 deaths of Holly Morton-Bowles and Bianca Jones.

The two 19-year-olds from Melbourne’s Bayside were traveling through Southeast Asia in late 2024 when they tragically succumbed to methanol poisoning. The incident occurred while they were consuming alcohol at Nana Backpackers Hostel in Vang Vieng.

This mass poisoning incident also claimed the lives of at least six other foreigners, including British national Simone White, an American tourist, and two Danish women.

This week, the families of Morton-Bowles and Jones expressed outrage upon learning that ten individuals linked to the methanol poisoning were merely fined $185 in January for evidence tampering. No charges have been filed in connection with the fatalities.

Foreign Minister Penny Wong announced Kang’s appointment on Thursday after the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFAT) and Trade apologised earlier this week for not providing more information to the victims’ families.

“Since their November 2024 deaths, the Albanese Government has been clear to the Lao authorities of the need for transparency and accountability,” Wong said in a statement.

“We have consistently conveyed our expectations that charges should reflect the seriousness of the tragedy that killed Holly, Bianca and four other foreign nationals.”

Kang is the head of the Southeast Asia regional and mainland division of DFAT and will leave for Laos as soon as possible. He has previously served as Australia’s representative in Cambodia, the United Arab Emirates and Vanuatu.

Morton-Bowles’ father, Shaun Bowles, said Australians considering travelling to Laos should rethink their plans and avoid the country.

Opposition leader Sussan Ley called for Prime Minister Anthony Albanese to summon the Laotian ambassador for a “formal explanation” on Tuesday about the “weak prosecutions”.

During parliamentary Question Time, Albanese acknowledged the court developments had “added to the heartbreak” of the families.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow