Share and Follow

The tragic deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti, along with the aggressive enforcement tactics, have intensified scrutiny on the Trump administration’s strict immigration policies in Minnesota.
WASHINGTON — On Thursday, U.S. border chief Tom Homan revealed plans to withdraw thousands of federal immigration agents from Minnesota, signaling the conclusion of Operation Metro Surge.
This announcement follows a decision made about a week ago by federal authorities to pull 700 of the 3,000 immigration agents from the Twin Cities area.
Minnesota Governor Tim Walz recently shared with reporters that he has maintained regular communication with Homan and other officials from the Trump administration since their arrival in the state. He anticipated that the operation would soon be terminated.
“I don’t see how they can continue this in a way that is politically or operationally sensible for them,” Walz commented.
The announcement comes shortly after Homan stepped in to lead the large-scale operation. The role was previously held by Border Patrol Chief Gregory Bovino, who left Minneapolis after federal agents there shot and killed two U.S. citizens in January.
The deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti in fueled nationwide backlash over the increasingly forceful immigration tactics being used, an approach widely credited to Bovino. Â
After being tapped to lead the operation in Minnesota, Homan said he was open to lowering the number of agents in the state if he received cooperation from local officials.Â
Homan said Thursday the decision to remove immigration officers comes as a response to the “unprecedented levels of coordination” from state and local law enforcement, as well as a “notable decrease in unlawful agitator activity” across the state.
This is a developing story and will be updated.Â