Share and Follow
This week on Legally Us, Rachael Bennett, a seasoned family law expert and senior attorney at Sullivan Law & Associates, delves into the legal consequences awaiting Derrick Callella. Callella, a Los Angeles resident, stands accused of sending a bogus ransom message to authorities in connection with the disappearance of Nancy Guthrie.
According to Los Angeles Magazine, Callella, who previously worked for L.A. County, now faces new federal charges. These charges come after he sent a text to Savannah Guthrie’s sister, Annie Guthrie, and her husband, Tommaso Cioni, on February 5. The message alarmingly read, “Did you get the bitcoin were [sic] waiting on our end for the transaction.” This was followed by a brief phone call, lasting just nine seconds, to an undisclosed family member of the 84-year-old Nancy.
In an interview with Us Weekly, Bennett explained the gravity of Callella’s actions: “Transmitting a ransom demand or extortion threat across state boundaries—whether by phone, email, text, or social media—is illegal. Even if the sender knows the threat is fake, it still constitutes extortion or interstate threatening communications, offenses that can result in severe prison sentences. Exploiting a family’s fear during such a crisis isn’t just heartless; it’s a significant criminal act, even if it was merely a charade.”
Callella has reportedly confessed to sending these ransom messages. Los Angeles Magazine highlighted that he admitted to the FBI that he sourced family information from a cyber website and had been closely following the situation through media coverage. His intention, he claimed, was to “see if the family would respond” to his deceptive messages.

Los Angeles Magazine reported that Callella admitted to sending the ransom demands. The outlet noted that he told the FBI “that he pulled family information from a cyber website, and that he had been following along and watching TV.” He told authorities his text messages were an attempt to “see if the family would respond.”
“The [Guthrie] family would absolutely have a civil case here, separate from whatever the government decides to prosecute,” Bennett tells Us. “There’s also a strong argument for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Exploiting a family in a situation like this is the exact kind of extreme and outrageous conduct that courts look for in cases like that. I would say the key difference here is that criminal court’s always about punishment, civil court is about compensation. Even if this defendant faces prison time, the family could still pursue their own lawsuit in the civil court.”
Nancy was last seen in Arizona on January 31 and reported missing the following day.
On Tuesday, February 10, FBI released the first surveillance photos and video footage of a subject outside of Nancy’s Tuscon, Arizona, home. The person wore a mask and gloves and attempted to cover the Nest camera with a branch. In one image, the individual appeared to be armed with a gun.
A man named Carlos Palazuelos was later detained and questioned by police that same day for his possible connection to the investigation. He was subsequently released and denied having any involvement in Nancy’s disappearance.
Amid their mom’s disappearance, Savannah and her siblings have shared several pleas for help. In an emotional video posted via Instagram on Saturday, February 7, Savannah spoke directly to the possible kidnapper.
She said, “We beg you now to return our mother to us so that we can celebrate with her. This is the only way we will have peace. This is very valuable to us and we will pay.”
For a full Legally Us recap, watch the video above.

