Share and Follow
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has called on New South Wales Police to offer a “full explanation” following an incident where officers removed Muslim worshippers who were praying during a protest in Sydney. The demonstration was against the visit of Israeli President Isaac Herzog.
During an appearance on The Sydney Morning Herald’s Inside Politics podcast, Albanese expressed his concern over the events that unfolded outside Sydney’s Town Hall on Monday evening.
“I’m troubled by the significant distress the Muslim community is experiencing due to the disruption of their prayers,” Albanese remarked.
He emphasized the need for clarity, stating, “This issue requires a comprehensive explanation, as it has caused considerable anguish.”
In response to the incident, over 100 Muslim organizations have united to release a statement denouncing the actions of the police as “completely unacceptable.” They are demanding a public apology and a thorough investigation after video footage surfaced, showing the officers forcibly removing several men from their prayer positions.
NSW Police commissioner Mal Lanyon said he had privately apologised to Muslim community leaders for any offence caused.
However, NSW Premier Chris Minns has refused to apologise, defending the actions of the police and saying he didn’t support an independent inquiry.
On Friday, the NSW police watchdog, the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission, said it was investigating the conduct of officers at the rally, including “incidents of alleged misconduct”.
NSW Police also revealed said a senior officer had told others to wait for the prayer to be completed before moving the group on, but the order was not followed.
“The senior officer was attempting to relay that message to other officers who were carrying out a move-on direction during what was a noisy, dynamic and fast-moving situation,” police said in a statement to SBS News.
PM defends Herzog invitation
Asked whether Herzog’s visit — which was on invitation by the federal government — had failed to advance social cohesion, Albanese said the Israeli president’s trip was about supporting the Jewish community following the Bondi Beach terror attack.
“People can have criticism of the actions of the Netanyahu government and [they] are entitled to express that,” he said.
Albanese said the majority of pro-Palestinian demonstrators wanted to peacefully express their views.
But he was critical of organisers of the Sydney rally, noting they had refused to relocate the demonstration to Hyde Park, as suggested by NSW Police.
“They chose not to come up with or participate in a sensible way that would have ensured separation by having the meeting in Hyde Park and then walking, marching, to Belmore Park,” he said.
“It is beyond my comprehension why that would not be taken up, that suggestion by the New South Wales Police.”
Josh Lees, of Palestine Action Group, earlier this week said the rally would not be “shunted off to some park out of sight and out of mind”.
The prime minister said his electorate office in Marrickville, in Sydney’s inner-west, had been targeted by some protesters with stink bombs, graffiti and broken windows, which did nothing to advance the Palestinian cause.
He also reiterated his government’s support for a two-state solution.
“There are two paths in the Middle East,” he said.
“One is a passive path of peace and reconciliation, and a settlement which gives Palestinian justice but also recognises the right of Israel to exist within secure borders, to have security assured [and] its right to defend itself.”
He said the other path was the “status quo”, which had existed for decades and left Palestinians oppressed and without self-determination.
For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.