HomeAUFather's Unexplained Disappearance Deemed Suspicious by Authorities

Father’s Unexplained Disappearance Deemed Suspicious by Authorities

Share and Follow
A father who disappeared from Melbourne almost 14 years ago is now believed to have met with foul play.
Brendan Breen was reported missing when he cancelled dinner with his separated wife via text message in May 2012 but there were some doubts about whether he’d left on his own accord until he missed his own daughter’s funeral four years later.

This morning, police have once again urged the public to come forward with information regarding the perplexing disappearance of Brendan Breen. Despite the passage of time, the circumstances of his vanishing act remain shrouded in mystery.

Brendan Breen was reported missing when he cancelled dinner with his wife via text message in May 2012 but there were some doubts about whether he’d left on his own accord until he missed his own daughter’s funeral four years later. (Victoria Police)

Inspector Dave Dunstan, from the missing persons squad, noted that concerns escalated significantly when Breen failed to attend a funeral on October 18. This absence acted as a pivotal moment, prompting the squad to deepen their investigation.

“Even after 14 years, we are convinced that there are individuals who possess knowledge about Brendan’s fate, who is involved, and the reasons behind it,” Inspector Dunstan emphasized in a statement. “The smallest piece of information could be the key to a breakthrough, offering Brendan’s family the answers they desperately need.”

Authorities revealed that Breen, who was also known by aliases such as Brendan Green, Brian Greer, and Brendan Lacombe, had a history of legal troubles. He had previously been charged with fraud and served several years in prison.

Police said Breen – also known as Brendan Green, Brian Greer and Brendan Lacombe – had previously been charged with fraud offences and spent “several years” in jail.

“There are a number of aspects about his disappearance that continue to give us cause for concern, especially the length of time he has been missing with no trace whatsoever,” Dunstan said.

“We know he had a number of associates who were also known to police, and while they have been spoken to over the years, this remains an active avenue of enquiry for investigators.”

Breen, who was 55 at the time, was last seen in Melbourne on April 12, 2012, and the cancelled dinner was on May 9 that same year.

Police said they were still on good terms and she became concerned when he cancelled at the last minute with a text and then stopped answering her calls.

They appealed for help to find the man but said it didn’t turn up any new leads.

“Despite a number of enquiries over the next few years, Brendan could not be located,” police said.

“In October 2018, Brendan failed to appear at his daughter’s funeral and his family believed this to be out of character as the pair were close.

“The matter was reviewed and detectives now believe Brendan’s disappearance is suspicious, and he has most likely met with foul play.

“His bank accounts and phone have never been accessed, and there has never been any reported sightings of Brendan.”

NEVER MISS A STORY: Get your breaking news and exclusive stories first by following us across all platforms.

Share and Follow