Share and Follow
EXCLUSIVE: The man accused of shooting a South Carolina deputy during a traffic stop in the early hours has been identified as a criminal illegal immigrant, according to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). This individual, who had previously been deported and convicted for felony illegal re-entry, is sparking concerns over immigration enforcement.Â
DHS officials informed Fox News Digital that deputies from the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office (CCSO) were dispatched to Johns Island after receiving a report of gunshots just after 9 p.m. on February 10. Despite their efforts, they could not locate the suspect, who was later identified as Floriberto Perez-Nieto, a Mexican national with a criminal record.
Around 3 a.m. the following day, deputies were called to the area once more by the same individual, reporting that Perez-Nieto had returned.
Tragically, Floriberto Perez-Nieto was shot and killed after allegedly firing at a South Carolina deputy. (Image courtesy of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security)

Floriberto Perez-Nieto was killed after allegedly shooting a South Carolina Deputy. (U.S. Department of Homeland Security)
Deputies spotted Perez-Nieto’s car and attempted to pull him over, but he tried to evade arrest and shot one of the deputies in the chest, according to authorities.Â
Other deputies returned fire and Perez-Nieto was later pronounced dead at the hospital.Â
DHS officials said the deputy who was shot in the chest was wearing body armor.

Charleston County Sheriff Carl Ritchie speaks during a news conference. (Charleston County Sheriff’s Office via X)
“This criminal illegal alien illegally obtained a firearm and nearly killed a law enforcement officer,” DHS assistant secretary Tricia McLaughlin told Fox News Digital. “Thankfully, the officer’s body armor saved his life. There could have been quite a different tragic outcome for this officer and his family.”
The deputy who was shot has not yet been publicly identified by authorities.
Perez-Nieto was previously arrested after he illegally entered the U.S. from Mexico, at an unknown date and location, and without inspection by an immigration official, according to DHS.

It is unclear when Floriberto Perez-Nieto illegally crossed the U.S. border. (Christian Torres/Anadolu via Getty Images)
He was subsequently removed from the U.S. on Feb. 20, 2019.Â
Officials said he committed a felony by illegally re-entering the country at an unknown date and time.
It is unclear where Perez-Nieto allegedly obtained the firearm.
The CCSO professional standards division will conduct an internal investigation related to the shooting.
Deputies involved have been placed on paid administrative leave, pending further review, according to a news release from the sheriff’s office.
The South Carolina Law Enforcement Division was immediately notified, responded to the scene and will lead the investigation.