Teenager Suffers Severe Injuries in Stabbing Incident at Melbourne-Area Mall

A teenage boy has been taken to hospital with serious injuries after he was stabbed at a shopping centre south-west of Melbourne. Authorities responded to...
HomeAUAustralian Government Blocks Re-Entry of Woman Allegedly Linked to IS

Australian Government Blocks Re-Entry of Woman Allegedly Linked to IS

Share and Follow

In Brief

  • Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said one person had been given a temporary exclusion order (TEO).
  • A TEO allows the minister to temporarily ban citizens by up to two years from re-entering the country.

The Australian government has temporarily blocked a woman, allegedly associated with the Islamic State (IS) group, from re-entering the country from a Syrian displacement camp. This decision has sparked criticism from human rights organizations.

Facing pressure from the opposition, the government enacted temporary exclusion orders to prevent the return of a group of 34 women and children who attempted to leave the al-Roj camp in northern Syria and come back to Australia. Their attempt was unsuccessful.

Since 2019, following the fall of IS, the individuals have been living under harsh conditions in the camp. They have been seeking to return to Australia, but the government has remained firm in its stance against facilitating their repatriation.

A temporary exclusion order (TEO) permits the Home Affairs Minister to impose a temporary ban—lasting up to two years—on citizens from returning to Australia if they pose national security concerns.

A temporary exclusion order (TEO) allows the Home Affairs minister to temporarily ban citizens by up to two years from re-entering the country on national security grounds.

In a statement on Wednesday, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke said one person had been given a TEO.

“I can confirm that one individual in this cohort has been issued a Temporary Exclusion Order, which was made on advice from security agencies,” he said.

“At this stage security agencies have not provided advice that other members of the cohort meet the required legal thresholds for temporary exclusion orders.”

The minister can make the order when they suspect “on reasonable grounds” that it would “prevent a terrorist act, support for a terrorist act, training with a terrorist organisation or support for a terrorist organisation”.

Burke did not confirm the details of this order and whether it would apply for two years.

The revelation came hours after Prime Minister Anthony Albanese remained tight-lipped about whether the government was considering a TEO.

“We take national security advice, and we will do what we can to keep Australians safe within the law,” he told reporters on Wednesday.

A group of Muslim women boarding a van
As of October 2025, the al-Roj camp in Syria held 37 Australian citizens, including 25 children. Source: AP / Baderkhan Ahmad

“These are people who chose to go overseas to align themselves with an ideology which is the caliphate, which is a brutal, reactionary ideology and that seeks to undermine and destroy our way of life,” he said.

“So, we will be doing and are doing nothing to assist or to repatriate these people.”

Opposition home affairs spokesperson Jonathon Duniam said the order raised “more questions than answers”, arguing more than one person from the cohort had travelled to the same region to support a listed terrorist organisation.

“The Opposition has grave concerns that the Minister is not acting in the interests of our nation and its security, and is instead supporting these efforts to bring these ISIS Brides back to Australia, ” he wrote in a statement.

Burke distanced himself from Dr Jamal Rifi, understood to be coordinating the cohort’s return overseas, stating he did not know his whereabouts nor had he been in contact with Rifi.

‘Right to return’: Human rights advocates criticise move under international law

Daniela Gavshon, Australia director at Human Rights Watch, says Australians have a right to “return to their own country”.

“Temporary exclusion orders have the practical effect of invalidating someone’s passport and could effectively render a person stateless during that period,” she told SBS News.

Gavshon noted Article 12 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights prohibits arbitrary bans on people from returning to their own country.

This right to return is also set out in the 1948 Universal Declaration on Human Rights.

“The Australian government has a duty to avoid statelessness under international law,” she said.

“If the government is concerned about the conduct of any of its citizens, it should be conducting investigations and where appropriate, prosecuting people for any alleged offences rather than trying to implement short-term solutions that have no basis in human rights.”


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow