Man Sentenced for Shooting Pregnant Ex-Wife Over Paternity Dispute

Left: Kayla Netherland (Facebook). Right: Jeremy McBride (Marion County Jail). An Indiana man has been sentenced to decades behind bars after shooting his pregnant estranged...
HomeAUNT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Again Despite Prosecutor's Appeal for Tougher...

NT Hit-and-Run Driver Dodges Jail Time Again Despite Prosecutor’s Appeal for Tougher Sentence

Share and Follow

Content Advisory: This article contains distressing content and includes the names of deceased Aboriginal individuals.

A 25-year-old man, who referred to his Aboriginal victims as “dogs” and “oxygen thieves,” has seen his home detention sentence extended to two years following an appeal.

Initially, in September, the Northern Territory’s Supreme Court sentenced Jake Phillip Danby, who was 24 at the time of the offense, to five months of home detention and imposed a 12-month community corrections order.

Danby admitted guilt to charges stemming from his failure to stop at the scene of an accident, which resulted in fatalities. This incident occurred when he struck two Aboriginal pedestrians with his vehicle in Darwin’s northern suburbs in June 2024 and then fled the scene.

The tragic event resulted in the death of a 39-year-old man, respectfully referred to as ‘Mr. Whitehurst’ due to cultural considerations. He succumbed to his injuries at Royal Darwin Hospital after his family made the difficult decision to withdraw life support.

The NT’s Court of Criminal Appeal judgement handed down on Friday said the offence at hand did “not involve criminal liability for causing the death of the person”.

The incident was captured on CCTV, which shows bystanders rendering assistance and calling emergency services.

NT prosecutors filed an appeal after the sentence last year, following public outcry, saying the original 12-month community corrections order was “manifestly inadequate”.

Three judges from the Court of Criminal Appeal in Darwin on Friday upheld the application and increased Danby’s home detention period from five months to two years under an extended community corrections order.

That means Danby will now return to home detention. Delivering their decision, Chief Justice Michael Grant said Danby was also required to wear an electronic monitoring device.

The prosecution argued on appeal on 11 December that the text messages elevated Danby’s crime to the aggravated level.

Prosecutor Pat Williams said a jail term of more than two years was required, given the seriousness of the offending and public expectations.

The lack of jail time triggered outrage from the victim’s family and wider First Nations communities in September, who say it was inconsistent with the “tough on crime” approach of the Country Liberal Party government.

Matthew Connop, the deputy chief executive officer of the North Australia Aboriginal Justice Agency (NAAJA), told SBS News in September 2025 that Danby’s text messages were shocking and racist.

“In terms of this case, it demonstrates the broader systemic issues that exist in the Northern Territory. You look at the comments and the language used by the offender, the racist comments and dehumanising comments. It’s a total disregard for human life.

“NAAJA has been contacted by many Aboriginal people who have said that the sentence did not reflect the seriousness of the offending, nor did it value the life that was lost.”

JAKE DANBY CCTV Supplied NT Courts 2.PNG
The incident was captured on CCTV which shows bystanders rendering assistance and calling emergency services. Source: Supplied / NT Courts

Defence counsel Jon Tippett in December 2025 argued that the sentencing judge had taken note of Danby’s text messages and, while being appalled by them, gave them appropriate weight.

Tippett said Justice Sonia Brownhill had given his client a chance of rehabilitation and counselling, and he was abiding by his corrections order amid public condemnation of his actions.

Tippett also said in December 2025 that courts shouldn’t sentence people on the basis of their stupidity or vile comments.

Danby was not in court on Friday, and Tippett declined to comment on the revised sentence outside court.

In the judgement delivered on Friday the NT’s Criminal Court of Appeal further explained: “The sentencing Judge expressly acknowledged the vile and abhorrent nature of the respondent’s communications, but he did not stand to be sentenced on the basis that the collision with the victims was racially motivated.”

NT Attorney-General Marie-Clare Boothby also came under fire over the Danby case, accused of not reporting a conflict of interest after it emerged he was her sister’s stepson.

Boothby said in September 2025 that she never attempted to hide the fact Danby was an extended family member, and at no time was she or her office involved in the criminal matter.

— With additional reporting from the Australian Associated Press.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow