Princess Eugenie’s Family Ski Trip Coincides with Prince Andrew’s Arrest

It has emerged that Princess Eugenie was vacationing at the prestigious Swiss ski resort of Gstaad with her family when her father, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor,...
HomeAUFormer Prince Andrew Freed Following Recent Arrest

Former Prince Andrew Freed Following Recent Arrest

Share and Follow

In Brief

  • Former prince Andrew was arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office and subsequently “released under investigation”.
  • The police force didn’t name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is usual under UK law.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor has been freed following his arrest earlier on suspicion of public office misconduct.

Late Thursday night, local time, reports emerged of unmarked police vehicles and officers in plain clothes descending upon Wood Farm, located on the Sandringham estate in eastern England. By Friday morning, he was seen departing Aylsham Police Station in Norfolk.

The Thames Valley Police, responsible for regions west of London, including Mountbatten-Windsor’s previous residence, announced shortly thereafter that he had been “released under investigation.”

“We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded,” read a police statement.

Earlier, authorities stated they were “assessing” claims regarding Mountbatten-Windsor allegedly sending trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010.

The police force didn’t name Mountbatten-Windsor, as is usual under UK law.

The arrest

When asked if Mountbatten-Windsor had been arrested, police pointed to a statement saying they had arrested a man in his 60s.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” the Thursday evening statement said.

“It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.”

Police officers standing by a gate with a car parked nearby
In a statement, Thames Valley police said it was also “carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk” as part of the investigation. Source: Getty / Leon Neal

Thames Valley Police officers were also searching the mansion on the King’s Windsor estate where Mountbatten-Windsor lived until he was forced out amid anger at the Epstein revelations.

Police have previously said misconduct in public office, which is a ‘Common Law’ offence and is not covered by written statute legislation, involved “particular complexities”.

Mountbatten-Windsor, the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and said he regrets their friendship.

King Charles’ response

The arrest of the senior royal, eighth in line to the throne, is unprecedented in modern times.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” King Charles said in a statement.

Although Buckingham Palace was not informed in advance about the arrest, Charles said the authorities had the family’s “full and wholehearted support and cooperation”.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the monarch said in his statement.

“Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Were Mountbatten-Windsor to ultimately face criminal charges, he would join a very small group of senior British royals who have formally been accused of offences.

What do we know about the allegations?

Mountbatten-Windsor’s office didn’t respond to a request for comment, and he hasn’t spoken publicly since the release of more than three million pages of documents by the US government relating to Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008.

Those files suggested Mountbatten-Windsor had in 2010 forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore and other places he had visited on official trips as the government’s special representative for trade and investment.

He was forced to step down from that role in 2011 after his close links to Epstein first emerged.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” Thames Valley’s assistant chief constable Oliver Wright said in a statement Thursday night.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Meanwhile, former UK prime minister Gordon Brown has also called for a police investigation into the extent of Epstein’s trafficking of women without proper checks by the authorities through London’s Stansted Airport, saying this had been overlooked by previous inquiries into Mountbatten-Windsor.

Essex Police said on Wednesday it was looking into the issue.


For the latest from SBS News, download our app and subscribe to our newsletter.

Share and Follow